Where To Get Synthetic Oil Cheap! - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 09-18-2009, 11:43 AM   #1
Banned

Where To Get Synthetic Oil Cheap!

WAL MART 20$ FOR 5 QUARTS PENZOIL SYNTHETIC REGULAR AUTO ZONE PRICE 699 NAPA 599 PEP BOYS 649

SO WAIT THATS ABOUT 37$ TOTAL AT AUTO ZONE VS 21$ AT WALMART

spotaneagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 11:53 AM   #2
Site Team / Moderator

Arrow

I've been buying synthetic oil at Wal-Mart since I've started using it years ago. Its always been the cheapest place.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 12:07 PM   #3
Site Team

I'm always skeptical of Wal-Mart's products, and oil would be one of them for sure.

I've spoken with people who work for companies that supply to Wal-Mart, and they have to take a very "chinese" approach- make a product extra-cheap for Wal-Mart. This "cheapification" is more apparent in some products than others, but I'm always afraid of what I can't see.

One possibility, and this is COMPLETE speculation, would be that the oils sold to Wal-mart are the "startup" and "shutdown" product from the manufacturing plant, which could have a less-certain mix of components or might carry residual product from the previous product made on that machine. Then Pennzoil would leave the higher-quality, more "in-spec" product for more premium purchasers. But there are plenty of ways that Pennzoil could supply a "cheapified" product to Wal-Mart and still meet the specifications on the label (as long as they are bent & twisted just slightly).

Of course we Americans have totally forgotten how to comparison shop- if we see a phone with 12 buttons, we think "well it has 12 buttons so it must work the same as the Radio Shack phone with 12 buttons" and ignore the fact that the wal-mart phone has cheaper springs, lower quality materials, thinner casing, shorter cords, and so on. And believe me, Wal-Mart is going to do everything they can to make you comparison shop THEIR way - "this phone has 12 buttons, and it only costs $X.XX" and hopes you overlook many of the less obvious traits of the product.

Sorry, I'll get off my soap box now.

-BC
Old 09-18-2009, 12:10 PM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
The ONLY reason I go to Wal-Mart is to get my oil and oil filter. I never buy anything else there.

Mobil 1 is also $22 for 5 quarts. That with a supertech filter run around $25 pre-tax for an oil change... well, used to. I have a 6 quart engine now so it's $30 now.
Old 09-18-2009, 12:19 PM   #5
Site Team / Moderator

Arrow

First of all, the comparison is 5 1Qt bottles, vs 1 5Qt bottle @ Wallyworld. Naturally you should get a bulk price from the 5Qt bottle (but not always). Take two seemingly identical products. For example Mobil 1 5W30 Extended Performance oil. Check the UPC code for the one @ Wal-Mart, and the UPC code for one @ your local auto parts store. If the #'s match, you're buying the same product. If they don't, even if its only by 1 digit, something's different.

I've learned a lot in the past couple of years, and I've stopped using the orange can of death on my vehicles (Save for Rusty, I still have a stockpile of them that fit, and it only goes maybe 1,000 miles between oil changes anyway).

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 12:59 PM   #6
Banned

stop being paranoid the walmart 5 quart bottles are not less anything ....... they are the same oil as that sold in autozone or ricermart ..... save the conspiracies for walmart underwear and socks and their vile offering of "food"
Old 09-18-2009, 01:00 PM   #7
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
I hope nobody here uses the Extended Performance Mobil 1... That's some of the most disgusting oil I think I've ever seen lol. The texture and everything is just all wrong!
Old 09-18-2009, 01:05 PM   #8
Banned

paranoid....... there are laws that prohibit that, they also print whats in the food on every label, check the labels on the food they sell at walmart, and you will be horrified, thats like saying a cd player sold at wal mart has a fake label on it, because its 20$ cheap than it is at circuit city dude, paranoiddddd
Old 09-18-2009, 01:09 PM   #9
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkjones96 View Post
I hope nobody here uses the Extended Performance Mobil 1... That's some of the most disgusting oil I think I've ever seen lol. The texture and everything is just all wrong!
you're right, its neon colored, i had to stop using that stuff because it burned so badly back to pennzoil synthetic, saturns burn oil, this helps them.. pennzoil is make by a real motor oil company, mobil is a joke, remember its exxon mobil funding the overthrow of iraq and venezualian government and funding false reports on global warming, mobil1 is pure overhype, probably castrol repackaged

i stopped buying gas at mobil stations because every time it rained my car ran like crap
Old 09-18-2009, 01:40 PM   #10
Registered Member

paranoid???

i'll defend Bob. i've been in retail and wholesale, and i can tell you what he says is in fact true. manufacturers and such MUST cater to low price seekers even if it means inferior products. "you get what you pay for" is a legit concept.

i find it amusing that some blast capitalism ONLY when it's convenient. ie wally world couldn't possibly break laws or be immoral, but those oil companies...well, they're just evil!

in regard to synthetics, i'd make an informed purchase. mobil1 and amsoil are the only brands i'm certain that are 100% PAO based TRUE synthetic oil. but, mobile1 does sell generic non-fully synthetics, so be careful. again, you get what you pay for and cheaper products are there to generate extra sales.

one last thing. amsoil contains more expensive, higher quality PAO bases than mobile1, and also has ester to help condition seals giving longevity to them. disclaimer: i do NOT sell amsoil.

bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote