Which car would you choose? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 11-29-2007, 06:52 AM   #1
Registered Member

Which car would you choose?

Which car would you choose? I'll be trading my car in for either a 07' Honda Fit (base model, 5-spd, w/7.5K miles, $13.5) or an 06' Nissan Sentra SE (auto w/35kmiles, $11K). I like them both, but the fit (I think) would make a better FE car. The only down fall w/the FIT is that since it's a base model, there is no cruise. Can you put an aftermarket cruise on it w/it being a "Drive by Wire" setup? About the Sentra, I think that the price is good, but I've done some research about it and haven't really been satisfied w/what I'v read. Might go and drive the FIT tonight w/the wifey. (She's not big on it because of the style ) lmk what you all think. Gotta make a decision very, very soon. Thanks.

204snic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 07:09 AM   #2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 204snic View Post
Which car would you choose? I'll be trading my car in for either a 07' Honda Fit (base model, 5-spd, w/7.5K miles, $13.5) or an 06' Nissan Sentra SE (auto w/35kmiles, $11K). I like them both, but the fit (I think) would make a better FE car. The only down fall w/the FIT is that since it's a base model, there is no cruise. Can you put an aftermarket cruise on it w/it being a "Drive by Wire" setup? About the Sentra, I think that the price is good, but I've done some research about it and haven't really been satisfied w/what I'v read. Might go and drive the FIT tonight w/the wifey. (She's not big on it because of the style ) lmk what you all think. Gotta make a decision very, very soon. Thanks.
Well the fit is really a great car. You get the FE of a Yaris, both with a lot of space... A Sentra will also do it well and have a respecfull FE. Here is the thing, you could go with a VERSA Hatchback. If you don't need all the room of the Fit, and also the versa has a CVT transmission (good for fe) and a 6 speed manual, so also good for FE. The Versa as more FE potenciel then the Sentra. But I would still go with the Fit over the Versa and the Sentra. BUT they will changeg the Fit next year and a 1.3L will be availaible, but if you need the car this year... well go for the 1.5L.

Also, I would BUY the fit, no location, and put like 200k miles and save some money along the way.

GasSavers_BIBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 07:44 AM   #3
Registered Member

I think an aftermarket cruise would not work on a drive by wire throttle. And if it did, I wouldn't trust it.

Not sure why the auto manufactures are going this route, I like good old throttle cables myself. The Mercedes 500 convertable (not that I could afford one) has drive by wire brakes. Yikes.
mrmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 08:08 AM   #4
Registered Member

I wouldn't buy another auto tranny car. Maybe cvt but not regular auto. You gain FE with a stick right from the get-go.

Now driving '97 Civic HX; tires ~ 50 psi. '89 Volvo 240 = semi-retired.
brucepick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 09:39 AM   #5
Registered Member

Yeah, I would like to stay w/a 5-spd for better FE. I've seen some nice FITs on the other forums. I was looking at the AT on the sentra due to the fact that my other half cruises around town in our Pilot and complaines why I have to fuel up every week and she only fills her tank once in two weeks. I drive 380 miles/week on my car w/avrg tank of 10gal vs. the pilot getting 225 miles on 14.5gal (if even that). Idk. Maybe I should just buy a ten speed w/and electric motor for my work commute. Thanks everyone. I'll let you know what the final decision is later.
204snic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 09:42 AM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to kamesama980 Send a message via Yahoo to kamesama980
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmad View Post
I think an aftermarket cruise would not work on a drive by wire throttle. And if it did, I wouldn't trust it.

Not sure why the auto manufactures are going this route, I like good old throttle cables myself. The Mercedes 500 convertable (not that I could afford one) has drive by wire brakes. Yikes.
+1 on the basis of sure 99% of the time it works great but you don't want to find a problem when little molly jumps out after her ball. hydraulics work fine and are tried and true. when we develop drive-yourself cars that the driver can take a nap in and it flies to destination, I won't mind. but as long as it's on the ground with normal cars around me, I'm all for direct connections.

That and (at least at GM, where I filed repair paperwork for half a year) a new DBW throttle body is about $400 more expensive...I saw about a dozen replacements which going by the sales rate of the place, is about a 10-15% failure rate. hard price for a 2% increase in emissions. maybe they should work on something better than OHV
mechanic, carpenter, stagehand, rigger, and know-it-all smartass
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
kamesama980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 10:17 AM   #7
Registered Member

A big diff in mileage...I would go for the FIT. More usable space and probably better FE right off the bat.

As for Cruise Control...ask the dealer if they can add factory style CC or not...then decide the importance.
2002 Air Box Mod...Air Tabs (5) on Roof...(3)each behind rear windows
Partial Grill Block with Custom Air Scoop and 3" Open Catback Exhaust
Lambretta UNO150cc 4 Stroke Scooter

DarbyWalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 11:32 AM   #8

My biased opinion says to go with the Fit!
GasSavers_DaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 04:49 PM   #9
Registered Member

If they were both manuals then it might be a little bit different of a situation, but as it stands, you really should go with the manual. That means that my vote is for the Fit. I was looking at buying a 1.3 over here in Japan, but decided not to go through with it for various reasons... most being money.
Erdrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 05:00 PM   #10

FIT!!!! No contest, except the other car is cheaper. Fit is better in the long run due to resale value. Look at how much a 7 year old Honda goes for compared to a 7 year old Nissan. Then, which would sell first? That's not the only reason, Fit is just more practical, IMO.

BumblingB is offline   Reply With Quote