Which Truck Has better Fuel Economy - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 01-24-2014, 04:56 AM   #11
Registered Member

What kind of mpg are you getting with the 3.7. I have the 3.5 eco-boost, and not yet impressed with the gas mileage, but I just got it.

ejstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 05:00 AM   #12
Registered Member

3.7 or 3.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sludgy View Post
I had a powerstoke 6.0 for a long time. Hated it, the mileage sucked. My 2011 gas F150 3.7 V6 gets better mileage.
What kind of gas mileage are you getting with the 3.7? I have the 3.5 Eco-boost, and am not yet impressed with the gas mileage.

Old 01-24-2014, 05:35 AM   #13
Site Team / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejstrickland View Post
I just purchased a new 2013 F-150 ecoboost 3.5 twin turbo truck, and have been driving it like an old lady. So far I am not able to get above 14.6 mpg. Can someone give me insight about this? It was a demo and has 6000 miles on it. Will I eventually get better gas mileage, or is there something I can do to improve the mpg? HELP.
I know driving my truck, driving like an old lady (super gradual acceleration) causes it to lag in lower gears longer and ultimately results in lower economy. My best results are when I give it 25%-35% throttle to accelerate. This way you don't spend an extended period in lower gears.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:09 AM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue View Post
I know driving my truck, driving like an old lady (super gradual acceleration) causes it to lag in lower gears longer and ultimately results in lower economy. My best results are when I give it 25%-35% throttle to accelerate. This way you don't spend an extended period in lower gears.
Thank you very much. I will try it. I am considering eventually looking into getting a chip for it. I hear that may also improve gas mileage as well.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:44 AM   #15
Site Team / Moderator

I'd advise against it. Aftermarket chips may advertise better mileage, but almost never deliver. They're designed for the performance market with little, if any thought as to how the economy is effected.

Old 01-24-2014, 10:36 AM   #16
Registered Member

If the aftermarket chips affect emissions, they are probably illegal under EPA rules. You may not care, but if your area does any sort of emissions check you might have problems.

You might also look around in the "Browse Vehicles" part of this site - Fuelly - and see what people are actually reporting for fuel mileage. My personal experience with full-sized pickups is that you will likely get low teens for fuel mileage in the city, and high teens on the highway.
Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 02:38 PM   #17
Registered Member

Don't all vehicles go through an annual test like in the UK? They check everything from seatbelts to chips in the windscreen, from brakes to tyre tread, and emissions too.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 02:51 PM   #18
Site Team / Moderator

In the US whether or not a vehicle gets an annual inspection, and what is checked in that inspection is up to the individual states. Some states require no inspections. Some require safety only, and some require safety & emissions.

Old 01-24-2014, 03:32 PM   #19
Registered Member

Send a message via Skype™ to rfruth
Have heard the EcoBoost motor takes 10K miles to 'break in' so hang in there - also wouldn't a chip void the warranty ?

signed safety & emissions test here in Houston

rfruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 03:38 PM   #20
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue View Post
I'd advise against it. Aftermarket chips may advertise better mileage, but almost never deliver. They're designed for the performance market with little, if any thought as to how the economy is effected.
I appreciate the input. I will definitely speak to the dealership before doing anything like that.