Who Has A Civic Hx? Is It Good Or Bad? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-05-2007, 12:05 PM   #1
Registered Member

Who Has A Civic Hx? Is It Good Or Bad?

Hi,

I have really been in the market for a civic VX but have been having bad luck and either missing them or they have problems or the seller sells to someone else. Anyways, all the VX's I have found tend to leak oil and need a lot of work done to the engine to make them a truly reliable car. This makes it hard for me to justify spending all this money on a 15 yr old car when I can get a 10yr old car with less mileage and super clean looking for just a little more than I would spend after doing all the repairs the vx would need done.

It seems that the HX gets pretty good mileage and is newer the one i am looking at is a 1997 with 84k on it and it is a 1 owner car. Everything looks good on it except I am not a big fan or red cars, but I would be willing to over look the color to have a really nice HX with no problems.

Are HX's good cars or would it be wiser to spend my money on an lx dx or ex civic?

the car is listed for 3999.00 so im sure I can get him down in price a couple hundred bucks.

let me know what you think?

HX or another civic?

Old 06-05-2007, 01:00 PM   #2
Registered Member

A friend of mine was looking for a VX for a while and settled on an HX. He seems to like it. It came with 140k on the odometer, but I'm the first to know whenever he has car problems. Since he bought the HX, I barely get calls from him. lol.

I'd go HX if you're having trouble finding a good VX. I'd rather lose a few stock mpg than drive something I wasn't sure about.

Lol, his is red too.

Old 06-05-2007, 01:30 PM   #3
Registered Member

do you know how much he paid for it?
Old 06-05-2007, 01:31 PM   #4
Registered Member

also what are somethings to look for when buying an hx?
Old 06-05-2007, 01:39 PM   #5
Registered Member

I bought my wife a used '98 HX w/ 50,000 miles on it 2 years ago. It almost has 100,000 now. She drives it about 90 miles roundtrip each day to work, all highway w/ only 3-4 possible traffic lights the whole way. She gets stuck in bad rush hour traffic on some days where it's stop and go for a couple of miles. Driving 65 - 70 MPH she averages 40 - 42 MPG during the winter, 43 - 46 MPG dring the spring and mid to late fall, and 46 - 49 MPG during the warmest summer months. She does no coasting at all. The only mod I tried since late winter a few months ago is a partial front grille block which perhaps increased FE by 2% or so. I removed it for the summer. The car is rock solid, no problems. I highly recommend it, especially one w/ under 100k miles for under $4k.

I was a '95 VX owner from brand new until 225,000 miles and sold it recently when it needed new tires, new front crank seal, clogged EGR ports to be cleaned, and a few other things rather than investing the $$ in repairs. I regularly got 52 - 55 mpg during the summer and 48 - 51 mpg during the winter (and it was the non-lean burn California model). I loved the car and its fuel economy and never had any problems at all except the previously mentioned things just before i sold it. Also very highly recommended, but good luck finding one w/o rust, with low miles for a reasonable price.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:07 PM   #6
Registered Member

Found a nice vx in an area far from me..getting a friend to snap some pics and test drive it today. I may pass on it if I do, I'll post the info on here so someone can grab it...if it were closer I would get it...116k on it...new timing belt and water pump at 90k...ill find out more about in a couple hours.

I am going to be getting my first real job soon and will be living in an apt complex so I wont have any real place to work on the car so I am thinking of going for something newer (CIVIC HX) instead of the vx.

If the vx checks out as an awesome car I may just have to buy a plain ticket and go and get it.

If anyone else has some more info on Honda HX's please chime in, both good and bad...
Old 06-05-2007, 03:38 PM   #7
*shrug*

Pakistan
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 04:16 PM   #8
Registered Member

yeah....I think im going to be getting an hx...then when I get settled and have a little more time and money to throw around I will def. be looking for a VX...

The other thing with VX's I think it pays to look for a long time till you find a really good one because lots of them are beat...!
Old 03-02-2008, 01:30 PM   #9
Registered Member

This Is Soooo True

[QUOTE=

The other thing with VX's I think it pays to look for a long time till you find a really good one because lots of them are beat...![/QUOTE]

THE BIGGEST PIECE OF ADVICE I COULD GIVE ANYONE LOOKING FOR A VX!
Old 03-02-2008, 05:31 PM   #10
Registered Member

The HX is nice because it's OBD 2 and you can use a Scangauge or Dashdyno with it. When I test drove a VX back in 1995 it was too slow for me and I didn't buy it. I just got my 99 HX MT in Nov 07 and often my weekly tanks with no hypermiling 2 days city 5 days hwy [@65 mph] Texas Winter of 60 to 75F - 42.5 mpg. I got mine for $3500, but it was a salvage title but the car is really solid. It was modded with a short ram, Catback Exhaust, short shifter, and strut tie bar. I put Angel Eye headlights and an aftermarket CF style grill and power mirrors on it. Next gonna put Wincos tint and maybe a Viper 5900 alarm on it.

JESSE69 is offline   Reply With Quote