Why can't we have these??? - Page 6 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2012, 10:53 PM   #51
Registered Member

Re: Why can't we have these???

Well, having seen the CRX re-introduced as the CRZ, I was wondering what a new version of the VX would look, drive and feel like. They could call it a ZX I suppose. I'd love to have the comfort of today's vehicles with the efficiency of the 92-95 VX. My girlfriend's CRZ is awesome inside, outside and especially on gas!!!

VX_Arky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:30 AM   #52
Registered Member

Re: Why can't we have these???

The Insight2 and Prius c are the closest available right now. Within a year we'll start seeing 3cyl. DI turbos on non-hybrids.

trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 04:08 AM   #53
Registered Member

I recently purchased a new 2013 F50 Ecoboost super crew cab. The mileage when I bought it was 14.7 mpg on the first tank. 15.6 mpg on the second tank and 16.3 on the third tank of gas. It seems to stick right around the 15 avg mpg mark. I have been looking into getting a stage 2 cold air induction system for it since it is fairly low cost and a larger exhaust system (from 2" to a 4") as well because I am told the gas mileage will substantially increase...although I don't have numbers or proof on the statements.

Does anyone know if these changes will actually improve gas mileage on my truck?
ejstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 06:05 AM   #54
Registered Member

No idea, but my suspicion is that any major changes to intake and exhaust will require a tune to take advantage of them. Otherwise, the ECM will just adjust accordingly to stay within the stock parameters. At least that is what will happen with a Sonic. A tune will add around $200 to $300 to your fairly low cost.

PS - Why not a new thread?
Old 02-25-2014, 06:43 AM   #55
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Intake and exhaust are extremely mature technologies. Manufacturers are extremely motivated to take any easy gains in fuel economy and power. They have little reason to compromise on intake and cat-back exhaust; some types of exhaust bends might be more expensive, and maybe an intake might be noisy, but otherwise they can easily and cheaply make sure the intake and exhaust are properly engineered to make the most of the engine. They don't hire fools for engineers, they attract and hire some of the best.

On a mostly stock engine, the popular, easy, bolt-on intake and exhaust modifications will provide no true benefit to fuel economy and/or power. Why would the manufacturer leave that card on the table? They wouldn't.

If you've done major internal engine modifications then all bets are off, it's time to re-engineer peripheral stuff. If you have a new high-performance intake manifold, throttle body, fuel system, and longtube headers, and custom tune then a new CAI, filter box, and catback exhaust will be great investment.

If you haven't done all that other stuff then you will be paying a lot of money for a placebo that subconsciously affects your driving. If that produces results then maybe it's still good enough (most likely never enough to pay for itself), but with sufficient mind-over-matter (or a little hypnosis perhaps) you can get the same results.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:01 AM   #56
Registered Member

There has been a lot of talk about how wonderful modern Diesels have become. Have they overcome problems with cold starting, such as zero F or about -20 C? Or even colder? Have they overcome problems with fuel gelling at temperatures below about 15 F (-10 C)?

When the temperatures drop drivers have to either put anti-gel additives in the fuel or make sure the fuel station has Winter Blend or #1 Diesel to avoid unpleasant surprises. When the temps drop much below freezing our school plugs in the block heaters on the Diesel buses.

What is the lowest temperature at which modern Diesels will start, unaided by anything other than on-board starting aids such as glow plugs?
Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 01:50 PM   #57
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
Intake and exhaust are extremely mature technologies. Manufacturers are extremely motivated to take any easy gains in fuel economy and power.
They have to balance this against emissions, costs, and ease of maintenance. A cone filter very well might improve power and/or fuel economy, but the majority of buyers don't want to deal with cleaning it, or pay a higher cost on a replaceable one.

Many at a Sonic claim a custom tune improves performance and economy for the 1.4 turbo. It might, but I expect it increases the car's emissions. I've heard that GM truck owners, with the help of a Holden tech, have turned on the lean burn mode that is turned off for the NA market.

Which is drifting from the question. Bolt on stuff won't help beyond the placebo and maybe from a 'performance' intake being warm air. The engine is programmed for what was put on at the factory. If there is any benefits to be seen, it will need to be retuned. A tune alone might do more in way of improvement. Which won't be high enough to cover the cost if it is just to save money.
Old 02-25-2014, 01:58 PM   #58
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charon View Post
There has been a lot of talk about how wonderful modern Diesels have become. Have they overcome problems with cold starting, such as zero F or about -20 C? Or even colder? Have they overcome problems with fuel gelling at temperatures below about 15 F (-10 C)?

When the temperatures drop drivers have to either put anti-gel additives in the fuel or make sure the fuel station has Winter Blend or #1 Diesel to avoid unpleasant surprises. When the temps drop much below freezing our school plugs in the block heaters on the Diesel buses.

What is the lowest temperature at which modern Diesels will start, unaided by anything other than on-board starting aids such as glow plugs?
As long as the fuel is formulated for it, a modern diesel shouldn't have a problem starting in the cold. Sounds like summer diesel is good to -7C, and then countries have their standards for winter blend.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_diesel_fuel

Unless you are in US, then we just have a suggestion for it.

In short, diesel engines aren't the issue in freezing temperatures, it's the fuel. Engine block, fuel filter, battery heaters, etc. will help in extreme climes, but they are also of benefit to gasoline vehicles.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:55 PM   #59
Registered Member

Charon forgets Europe has extreme cold winters too, not just the US!

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 04:59 AM   #60
Registered Member

Yeah, Switzerland uses a cold blend rated for -20C all year round.