Why does running one size bigger tires increase fuel economy? - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 02-26-2006, 08:42 PM   #21
Registered Member

Re: Quote:So this could drop my

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
Prolly a wash I'd say, or an expensive experiment it'd be hard to ever know the results of. What's the bolt pattern on the element?
Is 5x114.3 the bolt pattern?

I'm at 20,000 miles and will be needing new within the next 10,000 it looks. I won't be deciding until the oem Wranglers are toast, but they are wearing fast.

GasSavers_worthywads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 08:44 PM   #22
*shrug*

Yep, search from some

Yep, search from some lightweight rims for that stuff, , that's the same bolt pattern as the ITR so you can get some nice stuff,

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 08:49 PM   #23
Registered Member

Re: Yep, search from some

Quote:
Yep, search from some lightweight rims for that stuff, , that's the same bolt pattern as the ITR so you can get some nice stuff,
ITR?

Is there a ROI on lightweight rims?
GasSavers_worthywads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 08:58 PM   #24
*shrug*

ITR = Integra Type R ROI = ?

ITR = Integra Type R
ROI = ?
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 10:25 PM   #25
Driving on E

Re: ITR = Integra Type R

Quote:
ITR = Integra Type R
ROI = ?
ROI = Return on Investment.

lighweight rims will help as it reduces rotational mass, but the ROI is unknown. It's probably one of the "hard core" modifications for extreme enthusiasts.
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 11:03 PM   #26
Registered Member

Re: just had another thought...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compaq888
My rpm stays the same at any speed, but the mpg just go up. Doesn't matter what tire I'm using.
remember though, the mileage benefit from a taller tire comes from reduced engine/transmission rpm. so if your rpm doesn't drop with a larger diameter tire...
I didn't really pay attention to the rpm with my old tires. All I know is my OD always starts at 37mph.

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 11:06 PM   #27
Driving on E

Quote:
I didn't really pay attention to the rpm with my old tires. All I know is my OD always starts at 37mph.
Waiiiit... I thought you just said :

Quote:
My rpm stays the same at any speed, but the mpg just go up. Doesn't matter what tire I'm using.
It seems that you either paid attention to your RPM or you didn't. Both of your statements can't be correct.
Old 02-26-2006, 11:21 PM   #28
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Timion
Quote:
Waiiiit... I thought you just said :

Quote:
It seems that you either paid attention to your RPM or you didn't. Both of your statements can't be correct.
I explained to you in the IM the difference between them.
I'll explain for the rest here too.
My OD went on at the same speed with both tires, but the 3 other gears are way different.

Next taller tire is actually different. I went to the track a couple of times with my 195/65/15 tires and I got consistent 2.4xx 60'. With my kumho's that are 205/60/15 my 60' actually got worse because they are shorter. My 60' was 2.5xx-2.6xx with the 205/60/15. The kumho's are wider so I should have more traction and some of you are going to say that the other tires were of better compound and hooked up better and that is where you're wrong. My other tires would barely hook up in the rain for regular street driving and I almost wrecked 3 times in one month because of them. I even bought the kumho's because I eventually did wreck because of them. Now the kumho's have great traction, I can make turns at higher speeds and they have great wet traction. I actually have to go WOT just to spin my tires in wet traction.

So the conclusion is having a bigger tire makes a difference at the track and it should improve your fuel economy because it spins less per mile than the smaller tire.

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 01:50 AM   #29
Registered Member

Quote:
lighweight rims will help as it reduces rotational mass, but the ROI is unknown. It's probably one of the "hard core" modifications for extreme enthusiasts.
I don't understand the issue with rotational mass and FE. Sure, you invest more energy to accelerate, but you get it back while coasting. ;-)

krousdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 08:13 AM   #30
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by krousdb
Quote:
I don't understand the issue with rotational mass and FE. Sure, you invest more energy to accelerate, but you get it back while coasting. ;-)
I think the FE gain with lightweight rims is all in city driving. It requires less energy (ie, fuel) to spin the tires. For stop and go traffic, that would be a major bonus.

I'm also sure that it takes a slightly less amount of energy to maintain a cruising speed with lightweight rims.