why is the volkswagon jetta the most popular car here on fuelly? - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Click Here to Login

Old 11-05-2014, 12:25 PM   #21
Registered Member

Depends how deep you want to look at things I guess. 99.99% of people only care about two things, cost to buy and cost to run. As mentioned, a new Prius V's a new diesel car, depending what you buy, there's a huge difference there but the Prius will only save a few hundred dollars/pounds in fuel costs, so for most its not worth the extra expense.

Oh, and btw, most diesels have lower C02 emissions than the Prius, mine included

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 01:24 PM   #22
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draigflag View Post
Depends how deep you want to look at things I guess. 99.99% of people only care about two things, cost to buy and cost to run. As mentioned, a new Prius V's a new diesel car, depending what you buy, there's a huge difference there but the Prius will only save a few hundred dollars/pounds in fuel costs, so for most its not worth the extra expense.

Oh, and btw, most diesels have lower C02 emissions than the Prius, mine included
Barely If I got your model right of the Clio UK site, it emits 90g/km CO2. The fancy Prius trims with 17in wheels are rated 92g/km, but the base with 15in wheels is 89g/km. So the diesel Clio is slightly better than the high trim hybrid that is two, I think, size classes larger.

Lets compare like. The Yaris hybrid is closer in size, but I think it is still bigger overall. Its CO2 emissions range from 75 to 82 g/km. Presumably a difference in trim wheel size. It is also the same price as your Clio.

There is also an Auris hybrid in between the Prius and Yaris in size, price, and emissions. When compared to similar diesels, the prices are likely close. At least by msrp. Unless I have been misinformed, the diesel and petrol price is close in the UK. Thus those siting cost just don't want a hybrid or Toyota, and are coming up with an excuse.

This is just carbon emissions. The Toyota hybrids will be far cleaner on NOx and other smog forming pollutants that effect the local environment.

trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 01:50 PM   #23
Registered Member

Everyone has thier choices (or excuses, whatever you want to call them) i'm not a huge toyota fan, interiors are very cheap and flimsy and they are a little dull to drive. The most significant reason I would never buy a hybrid however is because as far as I know, every single hybrid currently on sale has an auto tranmission, apart from being incredibly uncool in the UK, I just cant stand auto's!

Old 11-05-2014, 04:48 PM   #24
Registered Member

Mechanically, the Prius transmission is a one speed manual, but I understand not wanting a Toyota and or a hybrid. I used to have a Prius, but no longer am interested in owning one.

I just wanted to point out that many of the things circulating against the Prius are myths. The Sudbury mine story came out, and was debunked about 9 years ago. Yet it still circulates. The Prius is a well rounded car that could possibly save you money over the long haul. It isn't perfect, and if I person doesn't like it, that's fine. No reason needed. I understand how driving a car everyday that you don't like feels. I just don't want to see the myths spread.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 10:55 PM   #25
Registered Member

I understand, thanks as usual for the extensive info!

Old 12-05-2014, 08:25 PM   #26
Registered Member

France to ditch diesel cars for environmental reasons?
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...0TI42020141128
Old 12-06-2014, 07:27 AM   #27
Registered Member

And replace them with what? Europe has been focusing on slashing C02 for years, best way they decided was to blame the tax paying people that live there. In the UK, diesel has been very popular due to the low annual road tax, which is based on C02 emissions, and the improved economy. Whilst C02 can be 50-75% lower for a diesel car, other pollutants can be slightly higher. Truth is, people are hooked on diesel, now just as smooth, quiet and refined as a petrol car, more torque and less need to accelerate hard with great economy too. They are going to have a hard job convincing people to switch back to petrol cars now...

Old 12-06-2014, 03:18 PM   #28
Registered Member

I love diesels but I don't think I would buy one anymore. I don't like the aftertreatment junk, which would point me towards an older VW TDI. Which are great cars, but I do not care to live with the maintenance on one. That's pretty much the choices which are out there in the US, unfortunately.
Jcp385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 05:56 AM   #29
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draigflag View Post
Everyone has thier choices (or excuses, whatever you want to call them) i'm not a huge toyota fan, interiors are very cheap and flimsy and they are a little dull to drive. The most significant reason I would never buy a hybrid however is because as far as I know, every single hybrid currently on sale has an auto tranmission, apart from being incredibly uncool in the UK, I just cant stand auto's!

I hate autos too. Give me a good old manual any day, especially in the winter.
Pugle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 08:24 AM   #30
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugle1 View Post
I hate autos too. Give me a good old manual any day, especially in the winter.
It's fair enough if you have a disability of some kind, I can't get my head around people driving an auto out of choice though!