Why scanguage or mpguino? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 03-24-2012, 09:19 PM   #1
Registered Member

Why scanguage or mpguino?

OK, I've been pondering this and here's my quandry. I'm too cheap to invest in a scanguage or an mpguino. I don't see how this device could possibly make my driving habits any better than they are, especially enough to pay for this device by saving me $100-$200. I drive unbelievably careful, low RPMs, shift accordingly, hypermile with engine off, break slightly and only when I have to, watch for red lights, follow traffic patterns to the best advantage of avoiding stopping, etc. I'm totally confident in my driving skills and don't believe these devices could help me much. Can anyone convince me I'm just being arrogant and I should buy one? Why are they so good? What will a scanguage do that I'm not already doing? I just don't get it but I want to understand what I'm missing. Feel free to chime in. Anybody?

VX_Arky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 03:44 AM   #2
Registered Member

Re: Why scanguage or mpguino?

realize that not everyone pays that much attention to their driving. also, the scangauge and other such devices show you way more than just MPG. that is a larger reason people buy it.

I can't say that it would be worth it for you. I think it is worth it but that is your choice

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 02:28 PM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow

A device like that can give you feedback that you just don't have access to otherwise. You could find that something you've been doing is counterproductive.

Your VX won't work with a Scangauge anyway. The MPGuino could still be a good investment, but if you need that much arm-twisting to try it then I suspect you won't be happy with your investment. It sounds like you're doing well enough without it.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:27 PM   #4
Registered Member

Thanks guys! I appreciate the thoughts.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:42 AM   #5
Registered Member

I thought I was doing pretty well with my '05 Civic Si. When I installed a Scangauge, I learned more about the DFCO points and started really challenging myself. It became a game to see what kind of mileage I could get on each trip. My mileage increased a bit, but that car did not respond to hypermiling well.

When I got my '08 Civic Si, I found that I averaged 36 mpg overall (until it was wrecked), with a high of 39 mpg. The low tank that killed my average was when I took it to the racetrack. Since the car was only rated at 21 city and 29 highway, and my driving was about 60% highway, I think the SGII helped me out a lot. For me, it made hypermiling into a game.
IndyFetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:00 PM   #6
Registered Member

Until I got the Scangauge, my best tank was 42 mpg. The next tank was 46 mpg and it's been climbing ever since. Having immediate feedback makes a HUGE difference over only finding out after the fact at the pump. You get to see how much difference your right foot makes RIGHT NOW, instead of seeing the average next week.

Also, (not bragging, but trying to show that there's much more potential) my 68 mpg with a gauge > your 40 mpg, even though my DX has a lower epa than the VX.

It's not just me. Here's another (stock) VX at 43 mpg. http://www.gassavers.org/garage/view/2907
palemelanesian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:57 PM   #7
Registered Member

These are good points and points I've thought about. I have definitely not thrown away the idea of buying one. My biggest problem is I drive 95 percent city so my MPG is much lower in town. When I take it on the highway, I average 52 to 58 mpg's. It makes me wish I drove it more on the highway lol.