Why we don't have 50 mpg cars. - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-20-2008, 04:13 AM   #21
Registered Member

They got the date side guard beams were introduced wrong.

I think it helps to make the public aware of the fact that fuel cost have reached a point where they will surpass all other vehicle costs combined.

While some people just don't get it and probably will never get it, those with some math skills are beginning to understand the logic of having another car that gest great mileage offsets the additional costs involved.

regards
gary

Old 05-20-2008, 05:57 AM   #22
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
Most consumers (foolishly IMO) want an automatic transmission so they can jabber on the cell phone while they drive.

Most consumers want a decent level of soundproofing so they can jabber on their cell phone. Old 60s cars have no soundproofing and it is like riding in a drum.
Loosen your iron grip on your agenda and think about these things realistically.

Most consumers don't want to be bothered with shifting -- they don't even want to have to adjust the temperature controls or hold the window button, so there's automatic climate control and express-down/express-up windows (I love the windows, and don't have the climate control, which is just fine with me). And really, it is a pain in the ***. This is the 21st century. Humans landed on the freakin' moon almost 40 years ago now. You'd think we don't have to operate a personal conveyance so barbarically. I enjoy shifting, but that doesn't mean everyone should have to.

Do you seriously think that people should ride in something that's "like riding in a drum"? Perhaps you were being sarcastic, because I can't imagine someone who would describe it that way would actually promote the idea.

Quote:
But acceptable electric cars beg the question: Where are you gonna get all that electricity? The grid is stretched tight as a banjo string right now. Without Congressional intervention, just getting the permits for a new power plant takes over a decade. If electric cars become viable the US will need hundreds of them practically overnight.
When people can't get to work, watch how fast those hurdles get destroyed. I don't think electric cars are practical or realistic, but if they were and if they were common, things would change.

I actually have this prediction that I've thought of if, as the doomsayers say, we run out of dinosaur juice: Nuclear plants to make the energy, and hydrogen or something similar to store it and fuel internal combustion engines. Again, it will not be an energy source, just a storage medium. I predict nuclear because I think it will be the source that is fastest to make a whole schittload of in a hurry -- actually designing a building a nuclear plant can probably get done in 5 years with enough motivation.

Understand, I'm not pushing that as a plan, and I don't necessarily prefer it or any of its components, nor do I particularly dislike them. I just imagine that it will go down that way because people won't want to go without internal combustion powered vehicles for long and that will probably be the quickest way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.I.D.E. View Post
While some people just don't get it and probably will never get it, those with some math skills are beginning to understand the logic of having another car that gest great mileage offsets the additional costs involved.
If you do the math, it doesn't work out for most people. It does work for me, though, which is nice because I like having another vehicle.