Winter tire/steel wheel users - How bad is the MPG hit? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Click Here to Login

Old 05-29-2008, 08:49 PM   #1
Registered Member

Winter tire/steel wheel users - How bad is the MPG hit?

Compared to your stock 13" VX rim/tire package, do you see much of a difference, or not enough to even second guess? Has anyone purchased a second set of lightweight wheels for winter use only?

jshelton441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 09:08 PM   #2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshelton441 View Post
Compared to your stock 13" VX rim/tire package, do you see much of a difference, or not enough to even second guess? Has anyone purchased a second set of lightweight wheels for winter use only?
since the vx wheels are in alloy, I use them in winter too, cheaper, its the best solution.

GasSavers_BIBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 02:36 AM   #3
Registered Member

Why don't you want to use your rims in the winter. If you feel the salt will damage the alloy surface all you have to do is bead blast them and they look brand new again.
civic lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 04:12 AM   #4

Well, most people who run 2 sets of wheels use a more sport oriented wheel that has little to no winter performance, and use a softer all weather or winter oriented tire on their cheaper wheels.

For the FE conscious person, however, it could be that in the summer you run a harder, LRR wheel that would had no grip in the winter, and then once more run a softer all weather or winter tire. Likely all weather as they aren't quite as soft as the winters, and wouldn't take as much an FE hit.

I recall someone posting a complaint about the stock LRR tires on the VX, saying that he would stop in hard packed road snow/ice, and if there were even a minor incline, his car would start to slip. Very compelling argument to use softer tires.
Wyldesoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 05:08 AM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
I have a set of 155/80 R13 Michelin x-ice silica rubber tires on steel rims, they are 51psi max side wall pressure tires and my summer tires are 165/70 R13 44psi tires on the stock vx rims, now I tend to install snow tires on the front right away when it snows and wait to install them on the rear until we start to have ice and hard pack snow.
There is defiantly a change in performance and my mileage seems to take about a 1-2mpg hit, although it's hard to tell for sure with all 4 snow tires installed because at that point my driving style changes due to snow and ice.
I am willing to take the mpg hit because my snow tires keep me out of the ditch and allow me to get up my driveway and should keep my car dent free longer.
GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 06:58 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic lover View Post
Why don't you want to use your rims in the winter. If you feel the salt will damage the alloy surface all you have to do is bead blast them and they look brand new again.
Cause the salt doesn't damage the alloy wheels, so I don't have to pay the extra money for the other rims.

And yes, winter tires are bad for FE, especially if the temperature is not below freezing point, but where I live (Canada) summer tire in winter is not an option, and the governement will past a law next year to force everyone to put them on in winter, a good thing!
GasSavers_BIBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 07:39 AM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
I have a set of 155/80 R13 Michelin x-ice silica rubber tires on steel rims, they are 51psi max side wall pressure tires and my summer tires are 165/70 R13 44psi tires on the stock vx rims, now I tend to install snow tires on the front right away when it snows and wait to install them on the rear until we start to have ice and hard pack snow.
There is defiantly a change in performance and my mileage seems to take about a 1-2mpg hit, although it's hard to tell for sure with all 4 snow tires installed because at that point my driving style changes due to snow and ice.
I am willing to take the mpg hit because my snow tires keep me out of the ditch and allow me to get up my driveway and should keep my car dent free longer.
yea my fe drops in the winter, partially due to it being cold and partialyl due to unable to NOT spin the tires a bit while driving in the s-10(then theres the occasional "oops my foot slipped and hit the accelerator" moments )

yea i have M+S tires on my cars year round, work reat in rain and on any other surface.
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 08:43 AM   #8
Registered Member

Winter tires are not all that bad. I have 2 set of winter tires, and I use one during the summer months. That's what the car came with when I bought it used.

Granted they are inflated at 50 psi, my last tank in the TDI with winter tires lead a tad over 56 mpg with roughly half the tank at 55 mph on the highway.
tasdrouille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 02:58 PM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshelton441 View Post
Has anyone purchased a second set of lightweight wheels for winter use only?
Yes. I like VX wheels, and I came across an extra set, and I couldn't resist buying them.

What I intend to put on this is the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R, 175/70R13. I would prefer 165, but they don't make it.

$90 is not cheap, but I've had very favorable experiences with Nokian tires on another vehicle. The winter traction is unbelievable. Also this tire is supposedly LRR.

http://www.tiresbyweb.com/pc-7345-12...eliitta-r.aspx
monroe74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 03:19 PM   #10
Registered Member

Rims in the winter is the suck, a little bit of temperature change or snowstorm and you gotta scrape all between the spokes to get the snow and ice out or else your wheels are unbalanced like crazy and any speed over 50 shake your car like hell...happened to my like 5 times last winter

steelies are best

Rayme is offline   Reply With Quote