Wish someone made a high mileage pickup. - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2011, 04:36 AM   #11
Site Team / Moderator

Re: Wish someone made a high mileage pickup.

Is that a Dodge Colt?

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 06:10 AM   #12
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Jerryrigger View Post
I really don't understand the Baja. The bed is useless; it's the size of a legacy's trunk, but with out the fold down seats. The only thing it might be good for is moving a refrigerator.
Well, the main point is to sell cars...and people think that it looks cool so they buy it.

However, even those tiny beds aren't useless. I wouldn't trade my pickup for one but I'd consider one instead of a car with a trunk, mainly for the ability to put dirty/yucky things in. I wouldn't put my garbage in a carpeted trunk to take it to the dump, but I would put it in a small bed that I can hose out easily; and I'd rather carry a can of gas or a greasy lawnmower in a small bed than a trunk.

Old 06-13-2011, 11:34 AM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue View Post
Is that a Dodge Colt?
Come on man! Look THROUGH the mussels...

F150:
New EPA12/14/17

theclencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:06 PM   #14
Registered Member

All the small "pickups" that are currently made suck ***. Already you can get a Highlander Hybrid that averages 28mpg city and highway and that's a huge truck!
imzjustplayin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:18 PM   #15
Registered Member

I Knew someone with a Brat. At least it was a small car/pick-up. It had a pair of rear facing seats mounted in the bed.

The gas price spike in 2008 extended the Ranger's production for another two years. I bet ESC and other changing regulations are keeping it from going beyond 2011. The 4 cylinder had been updated in 2003, but not much else.

It is the last compact truck. Everything else has grown in size, including the Ranger's global replacement.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:25 PM   #16
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow

The car-based Highlander is not huge (nor is it a truck except by CAFE classification), it's merely designed to appear large so that soccer moms can feel masculine. Toyota is stingy with providing interior measurements on their web site, but at a glance it certainly doesn't have the space found in a Chevrolet Tahoe, which is big but not "huge". Of course, the much larger, much heavier, much more capable Tahoe hybrid only manages 20/23mpg...the price you pay if you need to plow, or tow a large camper, while hauling your whole extended family in comfort and hybridicity.
Old 06-13-2011, 01:22 PM   #17
Registered Member

Second the Highlander not being huge. It's a midsize like the Trailblazer and Explorer. Is midsize big enough to meet most people's, is a separate debate.

Hybridization has a cost. One which few people wanting to buy a cheap, efficient pick-up are willing to pay. Unless it somehow is rated as high as the Prius.

Latest news on the Mahindra diesel truck is that the US certifications will be finished by the end of the month.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 02:04 PM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
The car-based Highlander is not huge (nor is it a truck except by CAFE classification), it's merely designed to appear large so that soccer moms can feel masculine. Toyota is stingy with providing interior measurements on their web site, but at a glance it certainly doesn't have the space found in a Chevrolet Tahoe, which is big but not "huge". Of course, the much larger, much heavier, much more capable Tahoe hybrid only manages 20/23mpg...the price you pay if you need to plow, or tow a large camper, while hauling your whole extended family in comfort and hybridicity.
Doesn't the highlander have the same capacity or slightly larger than a modern Toyota Landcruiser? I mean it's not like the Subaru Baja is going to be towing much of anything so the distinction that the highlander isn't up to snuff to serious work I think is irrelevant.
imzjustplayin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 02:26 PM   #19
Registered Member

The distinction is relevant to the statement about it being a "huge truck" getting 28mpg. It's a 28mpg station wagon.

As many of the old car-pickups discussed in this thread show, that platform is probably capable of doing basic light pickup work and getting decent fuel economy, but it's not relevant to compare it to any actual pickups on the market (unless you count the 15/20mpg Honda Ridgeline as a pickup (hey, why such awful FE from a unibody SUV posing as a pickup when a GM V8 full size pickup gets 15/21 for $4000 less? WTF Honda, get with the program!)).
Old 06-13-2011, 03:02 PM   #20
Registered Member

lol im glad im not the only one that feels unibodys arent trucks...

i forgot about the ranger... last i heard it wasnt too bad at all with the 4 banger reg cab 2wd 5 speed haha

VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote