Wish someone made a high mileage pickup. - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-13-2011, 03:42 PM   #21
Site Team / Moderator

Re: Wish someone made a high mileage pickup.

The Ranchero's and El Camino's were not unibodies. They were built on full frame station wagons. The Ranchero was a country Squire wagon with the roof cut off, and the El Camino was a Malibu wagon with the roof cut off. I'm not sure what wagon Subaru cut up to make the Brat, but rest assured it was a wagon, and that probably was a unibody.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 07:51 AM   #22
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue View Post
The Ranchero's and El Camino's were not unibodies. They were built on full frame station wagons. The Ranchero was a country Squire wagon with the roof cut off, and the El Camino was a Malibu wagon with the roof cut off. I'm not sure what wagon Subaru cut up to make the Brat, but rest assured it was a wagon, and that probably was a unibody.
It was the Legacy / Outback less the roof.

IndyFetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:30 AM   #23
Registered Member

The 82-84 dodge rampage was a unibody and had a true half ton carrying capacity. It managed 29 mpg highway EPA (32 highway with the old EPA numbers)

GasSavers_Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:39 AM   #24
Registered Member

The car-ups are still being made. They're known as utes in Australia, and based on the mid and/or full size car platforms. So, unibodies powered by a V6 are used to do everything Americans feel they need a V8 pick-up for.

I think some of the anti-unibody sentiment is really just pro-solid axle. I personally am more concerned over the marketing blurring of 4WD and AWD.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:43 AM   #25
Registered Member

I don't care how the frame is made. I just want something that gets 35 mpg and can carry bulky (but not heavy) items. Kayaks, mountain bikes, bags of mulch, furniture, etc. I don't work on a farm, I don't need to tow a houseboat, but I don't want to try to squeeze stuff into a Corolla. What I'm really curious about is how many others out there want something similar?
Madison320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 12:59 PM   #26
Registered Member

I just use my 2 door hatchback for those kinds of items or I tow a small trailer (Ky doesn't require license plates or any type of registration for trailers).
GasSavers_Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 01:32 PM   #27
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
I just use my 2 door hatchback for those kinds of items or I tow a small trailer (Ky doesn't require license plates or any type of registration for trailers).
I thought about a hatchback but not a small trailer. That could work although I'm not too crazy about pulling a trailer. Something to think about though.
Madison320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:21 PM   #28
Registered Member

its not that hard to tow/lug around a trailer, or get removeable roof rack system for your car, we hauled a canoe on the top of our caprecee before

i dont have a problem with the car-ups as they care called earlier haha, i have a problem with the currently available in the US market crap like a ridgeline thier calling a truck

personally id love to see the holden ute come over here but prolly never will...stupid crash laws
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 10:43 PM   #29
Registered Member

A Rabbit Pick up came out of my mind. It a good one.
sherlyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:29 AM   #30
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow

A Holden Ute would be great but I don't know that it gets good FE...isn't it pretty powerful, more similar in concept to the El Camino than the Rabbit pickup?

A trailer is fine except it may not be there when you unexpectedly need it. With my car's huge trunk I could haul a foldable/collapsible trailer with me all the time (but that would suck). A similar option that would be possible for modern cars is to keep a hitch haul in the trunk. With 45 seconds penalty compared to throwing stuff in a pickup you could hook up the hitch haul and strap your load to it. However, it certainly isn't as versatile as a trailer or a pickup bed.