Wish someone made a high mileage pickup. - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2011, 07:51 AM   #1
Registered Member

Wish someone made a high mileage pickup.

It's frustrating to me that over the years trucks have gotten bigger. Am I the only one who wants a small pickup truck that gets over 30 mpg? Take something like a Tacoma will an extended cab. Shrink it down about 30%. Increase the aerodynamics. Maybe put a turbo diesel in it. I'll bet it would get 35 mpg. I don't need a big truck for hauling heavy stuff, but in my opinion a truck bed is hard to live without. Easy tasks like picking up a bulky item becomes a major undertaking without a truck. I keep hoping someone will make one but so far I haven't seen anything.

Madison320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 08:14 AM   #2
Registered Member

Re: Wish someone made a high mileage pickup.

I owned '91 and '94 Toyota pickups that got 35+ mpg combined; not extended cab, though.

I feel you. I bit the bullet and bought the Honda Ridgeline in '07 and am now selling it. Couldn't squeak more than 20-22 mpg out of it, even on a good tank. Couldn't afford the $75+ fill up once a week.

I am back in the market for a used early '90's Toyota pickup once again.

I bet we will see a reduction in size of future pickup offerings again soon. The technology is there. It's just a matter of convincing the marketing gurus that there is a viable market for a small pickup once again.

yaryarbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 08:20 AM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to kamesama980 Send a message via Yahoo to kamesama980

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
Maybe put a turbo diesel in it.
you mean like most other countries that have the hilux sold in them? yea I hear you. unfortunately the is america where the only thing people think diesel is for is hauling a 20k lb trailer with a 9k lb pickup.

The S10 got the ax in favor of the colorado (and what a step back that is!) the Dakota's bigger than a full size 10 years ago, the ranger hasn't changed since 1993 except for finally ditching the dual I-beam front end in 98, and the 4 cyl in that things a joke (had a 96 5 speed. 25 mpg, 90 mph max, stalls if you try to launch hard). The tacoma is like the dodge, keeps getting bigger. 89-95 toyotas were the best (have one now) Take that and put a modern engine in with proper gearing and viola 30+ mpg stock. heck the 4 speed manuals got 29-30 anyway.
mechanic, carpenter, stagehand, rigger, and know-it-all smartass
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
kamesama980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 09:22 AM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
Take something like a Tacoma will an extended cab. Shrink it down about 30%. Increase the aerodynamics. Maybe put a turbo diesel in it. I'll bet it would get 35 mpg. I don't need a big truck for hauling heavy stuff, but in my opinion a truck bed is hard to live without.
I believe the Subaru Baja matches that description (except the diesel/35mpg).

...well, ok, looks like they're not making them anymore, and like other Subarus their fuel economy was less than it seems like it should be.

Sounds like you wish the Volkswagen Rabbit Pickup would come back, or a lightweight 4 cylinder El Camino/Ranchero. Except for being regular cab (no back seat) the VW was available with a diesel and got 50mpg.

Maybe the Honda Ridgeline? It's smaller and lighter than a modern compact pickup...though its 15/20 mpg rating is pretty lame.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:00 PM   #5
Registered Member

Rangers would fit the bill for many. Only problem is, they don't say "I've got nuts the size of basketballs", so all the macho truck buyers out there have stayed away in droves.

F150:
New EPA12/14/17

theclencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 12:15 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post

Sounds like you wish the Volkswagen Rabbit Pickup would come back, or a lightweight 4 cylinder El Camino/Ranchero. Except for being regular cab (no back seat) the VW was available with a diesel and got 50mpg.
The VW Rabbit pickup is exactly what I had in mind. Except I don't think they were made very well. Also I like an extended cab, not alot but just enough to be able to decline the seat a little. For me the Suburu is too much interior and not enough exterior bed. I have kayaks and mountain bikes that wouldn't fit back there. My guess is that it also adds to the cost to have a 4 door setup like that.

I'm betting that gas prices are headed much higher. At some point they'll start bringing back the smaller trucks.
Madison320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 12:53 PM   #7
Registered Member

That point will be when truck buyers demand them. Last time gas nearly hit $4/gal it seemed everyone ran out and bought new Silverados. So, it's gonna be a while before the demand for small trucks comes back... perhaps when gas hits $6/gal?

F150:
New EPA12/14/17

Old 06-11-2011, 10:45 PM   #8
Registered Member

my 95 s10 gets 28 29 interstate by myself, if i draft the right object i got 42 once (go charter bus haha) mines OBD1 with 163K on it

the 98+ s10's had a head change so they instantly get better with simple mods. plus their OBD2 so a tad more intelligent.
easily 30+ once you ditch the clutch fan.

either one MUST be a 4 banger and MUST be reg cab, ext cabs all had 4.10 gears and KILL highway mpg most reg cabs have 3.73 gears

the mid 80's had a diesel s10(rare as hell tho), even then that 2.5L is a beast of a 4 banger same with the 2.2L (not uber fast but strong and very good built) and cant go wrong with the 262, another one of GM's all time best engines but gonna get 25mpg if your lucky

good luck finding any toyota truck around the midwest thats in any decent shape tho, freaking things rot faster than milk around here. (havent seen a 90-00 toyota truck in a very long time, the few i have in junkyards and beater trucks have major framerot issues) cant build a truck to save thier lives when salt is involved...
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 06:29 PM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post

...well, ok, looks like they're not making them anymore, and like other Subarus their fuel economy was less than it seems like it should be.

Maybe the Honda Ridgeline? It's smaller and lighter than a modern compact pickup...though its 15/20 mpg rating is pretty lame.
I really don't understand the Baja. The bed is useless; it's the size of a legacy's trunk, but with out the fold down seats. The only thing it might be good for is moving a refrigerator.

Remember the Subaru BRAT? It was like the El Comino, but rather than a mussel car/truck, it was more of an econo-car/truck. Similar to the VW rabbit and Isuzu Pup. But I don't think any came with a back seat, so an old Toyota is the truck for you. I'm looking for one myself.
Dr. Jerryrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:33 PM   #10
Registered Member

An El Comino is a mussel car/truck?

This is the only mussel car I could find...

F150:
New EPA12/14/17