Woo hoo! Got 30.22 mpg in my minivan! - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-18-2008, 11:48 PM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatemybike View Post
Correct no EOC. My brakes and power steeering both work off the power steering pump and this thing weights over 4000 lbs, things could get real scary if I shut the engine down while rolling. The transmission is GM's 4L60E, a very wide ratio automatic with an OD of .70 and my rear diff is 3.23:1.

My driving consists of being easy on the throttle, I rarely see the TPS on the SGII go over 30, cruise set with right lane traffic speed varying between 55-65 mph (it's a 55 mph zone, I like to cruise about 60), some semi drafting (CB in vehicle, I try to talk to trucks I draft), and where I don't tie up traffic, long neutral coasting. Aside from the SCII, absolutely zero mods have been done to my van. I drive with my current MPG on the van's info center and on my SCII the RPMs, TPS, trip MPG, and current GPH.
ihatemybike,

One of the logical reasons why 55 mph is advocated here at GS is that since the EPA never exceeded 55 mph in their "old fuel economy" test, if you want to get mpg figures anywhere close to the EPA's fuel economy number, then you're gonna have to be like the EPA and never exceed 55 mph either. With the current high cost of gas, the cost of extra gas burned driving faster may be MORE expensive than the cash value of time you saved. So you need to learn to chill out like I did on my trip and you too should hopefully see higher mpg values. I wish you luck.

Old 06-19-2008, 05:24 AM   #12

I completely understand the 55 mph thing, I also know that each vehicle has it's own mileage sweet spot and 55 mph isn't necessarily it.

Around here my 60 mph is chilled, without being obnoxiously slow. I'm in the right lane and keeping up with right lane traffic, while people blow by me in the two left lanes doing 70-80. My last three tanks have been 21.6, 21.5, and 22.6 mpg. EPA for my van is 16 new / 18 old. Average last three tanks is 36% / 21% over EPA respectively. My current tank is averaging over 23 mpg according to my SCII.

I guess I could speed up to get close to the EPA's number, but I'd rather keep my brick over 20 mpg and my Hypermiler status.

ihatemybike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 01:23 PM   #13

Hot damn, drafting semi's at 60 mph on my way home from work resulted in 27 mpg on the SCII.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:45 PM   #14
Registered Member

Congrats, I'm tryna work the average up here, I think the brick wall for me now is aero. I was thinking I was losing a lot in the city grinds, but unless I get stuck in the bumper-bumper stuff, it doesn't seem like it.
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 03:54 PM   #15
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Hot damn, drafting semi's at 60 mph on my way home from work resulted in 27 mpg on the SCII.
How far were you following?
Old 06-25-2008, 09:41 PM   #16
Registered Member

Ody

I get 33.6 mpg in my new 08 Odyssey. Once its broken in I should get more.
hondaguydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 04:31 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
How far were you following?
About 2.5-3 seconds back, seemed to be the sweet spot for the van.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaguydude View Post
I get 33.6 mpg in my new 08 Odyssey. Once its broken in I should get more.
That's about 50% better than any of the Odysseys currently in the garage. Pretty incredible. Put it in the garage and log it for us.

---------------

Since we were working on the Jeep my wife used Green yesterday. Checked the SCII today, she only got 14.9 mpg yesterday
Old 06-26-2008, 05:29 AM   #18
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
About 2.5-3 seconds back, seemed to be the sweet spot for the van.
Another data point showing that as the most effective distance.