Would now be the time to score a Hummer? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-15-2008, 08:30 AM   #11
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by civic lover View Post
don't come crying to us in 3 months saying my H3 gets horrible fe ecomony and asking for suggestions on what to do. Happy car shopping!
He's beating the EPA by 94%. We should be asking him.

OP, if you're looking at new vehicles, might I recommend the Jeep Patriot? The 2wd 5 speed manual base model is very cheap (MSRP $16,400; you can certainly get it cheaper), EPA rated 23/28, very practical, lifetime powertrain warranty, and currently includes the "$2.99 gas for 3 years" promotion. I'm quite impressed with the value it delivers.

Old 06-15-2008, 08:32 AM   #12
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to suspendedhatch
Gas prices will never come back down significantly. Once they have us used to paying a high price there is no reason to ever lower it again. It makes absolutely no sense from a business perspective. The special favors America had for low gas prices are gone. Other countries have always been paying the price we are paying now. The best we can hope for is for the price to stabilize.

Hummers are awful vehicles. I can think of a dozen other vehicles I'd rather buy if I wasn't concerned about fuel prices. I'd personally get an Integra Type R for around 10k. But even if I had three kids I could think of a better option than a Hummer.

Civic VX, D15Z7, 5 Speed LSD, AEM EMS, AEM UEGO, AEM Twin Fire, Distributor-less, Waste Spark
suspendedhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 08:53 AM   #13
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by suspendedhatch View Post
Gas prices will never come back down significantly. Once they have us used to paying a high price there is no reason to ever lower it again.
History disagrees.
Old 06-15-2008, 09:00 AM   #14
Registered Member

yes hummers suck at everything, i bet you couldn't fit all your stuff in a hummer that you could fit in your car.

the h3 is smaller but just as useless, really all the civilian ones are meant to show off.

find a wagon, can cram LOTS of stuff in those and still get great mpg.

why not consider a pickup? a nice extended cab 2wd 4banger manual will get mid to high 20's and haul a buttload of stuff, dont want stuff to get wet? use a topper! instant (6'long, 5'wide and about 4' tall = 120 cu feet of enclosed space estimated)

also you can pick them up for 5-8Kand can find used toppers for $300...

gets more cargo room, better gas mileage, and haul anything with the topper removed!

"hummer" and "useful purpose" dont belong in the same sentence...They suck off road, they suck on road, and all they do is suck gas...
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 09:00 AM   #15
Registered Member

Whoops, sorry it's based on the Colorado.

This says it all for me...
H3 Cargo volume 29.5 cuft, seats 5.
Ford Focus Wagon cargo volume 35.6 cuft, seats 5.
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 09:42 AM   #16
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to baddog671
First off, I'm going to have to agree that the H3's get horrible gas mileage considering they are a 5 cylinder. Yea, I know they are shaped like a box, but still...

My father has a `05 H2 and its a beast of a car. 10.6-10.8mpg is what it gets, NO MATTER WHAT! It really confuses me actually..Going 50 or 80, doesn't matter..Pulling over a ton behind it on a trailer, doesn't matter. It defy's most hypermiling practices haha..

But, oddly enough, I think 10.8mpg isn't too bad when you think about it!!! Ok, it weighs over 9000lb (yes, almost 5 tons), has 4.11gears, HUGE tires (i think they are 38"s and 355 wide), 4 wheel drive all the time...etc etc. Now compare that to my v6 mustang that is only rated at 17mpg city and is vastly better in all those fields...
Old 06-15-2008, 09:46 AM   #17
Registered Member

ever consider an itty bitty trailer, or the oh so draggy roof rack for the extra storage? No reason to buy a big wasteful SUV

Also, used dorm fridges and chairs, or even new ones, are a good bit cheaper than renting a storage space.
Old 06-15-2008, 09:58 AM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddog671 View Post
My father has a `05 H2 [...]
Ok, it weighs over 9000lb (yes, almost 5 tons)
Did he park an H3 inside his H2? According to
http://www.hummer.com/popups/h2/h2_full_specs.pdf
it weighs 6,400lbs and has a GVWR of 8,600 pounds. He's illegally overloaded it if it weighs 9000lbs.

red91sit's trailer suggestion is a good idea.
Old 06-15-2008, 10:25 AM   #19
Registered Member

I have seen gas for 13 cents a gallon, bought it for 19 cents a gallon.

Today I am paying 20 times that amount.

Even adjusted for inflation thats a 400% increase in real costs.

A H2 with diesel at close to $5 a gallon at 10 MPG. Thats 50 cents a mile.

My VX costs me 6 cents a mile today, adjusted for inflation it's almost exactly what I spent per mile at 1 cent a mile in my 32 MPg AH Sprite in the summer of 1967. Of course in 1967 I worked 40 hours for $23, and paid zip in taxes.

Last time I worked for myself I made 5 times that 40 hour wage in one hour.

Inflation is cranking up again, and it looks like the liberals will start the same old tax and spend policies I have seen for over 50 years.

If you want to get stuck with some of the most expensive scrap metal on the planet, don't let me stop you.

Maybe you can sell it at Barret-Jackson in 2050.

regards
badger
Old 06-15-2008, 11:30 AM   #20
Registered Member

Considering the extremely high demand coming from India and China, I don't think the prices will come down much more. If the gas go cheaper it's just going to up the demand out there and it will be worst.

Rayme is offline   Reply With Quote