You know you're a fuel economy freak when... - Page 6 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-12-2006, 05:25 PM   #51
Registered Member

#106 You get so accustomed

#106 You get so accustomed to driving slow that it makes you nervous to go 60 mph.

#107 When there is lots of traffic and everyone else is bumper to bumper you leave 10 car lengths between you and the car in front of you.

#108 When there is no traffic you are riding the bumper of the only other car on the road.

GeoMetry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 06:50 PM   #52
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Quote:85 instead of waiting

Quote:
85 instead of waiting at a red light with the foot on the brake, you pull your ebrake up either because a) you don't want to drain your battery because your engine is off or b) your trying to reserve the alternator to charge more of the battery for your next FAS
ME TOO! ME TOO! comes from having the alternator pulley so slippery that the belt slips if the brake light are on with the Geo - now I just do it in the xB to save the gas as the smart pants engine revs faster to keep the alternator putting out enough voltage.

JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 06:55 PM   #53
Registered Member

Alt fuel source

Quote:
16. your passenger accidently farts and you don't open the windows because you'll lose mpg on the freeway.
109. You have a vacuum line built into the bottom of the seats to absorb farts and feed it to the engine as a renewable fuel source.
Old 05-13-2006, 05:51 AM   #54
Tuggin at the surly bonds

Re: Alt fuel source

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanGeo
Quote:
16. your passenger accidently farts and you don't open the windows because you'll lose mpg on the freeway.
109. You have a vacuum line built into the bottom of the seats to absorb farts and feed it to the engine as a renewable fuel source.
My brother and I thought of that too back in the '70s He'd be so proud if the idea caught on... }
Old 05-13-2006, 06:02 PM   #55
Registered Member

110. when you put the

110. when you put the shifter into N, release the hand brake and then open your left door. With your strong left shifter foot you move the car out of the parking stall in reverse and then set up the car properly before I key on so that all I have to do is in 1st and just go!

With high tire pressure (more than 55 psi), a 2400 pound car is easy to push with your left leg I find forwards or backwards. No more reverse for me unless I have to push agaist a hill which for sure I"ll lose and the car will roll into the opposite direction! If you can push agaist the hill your truly a FE god...
Old 05-13-2006, 09:04 PM   #56
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to The Toecutter
You should go by the one

You should go by the one finger rule.

If you cannot push your car with one finger, there is a lot of room for improvement on your tire rolling resistance, wheel bearings, alignment, and/or transmission in regards to efficiency.
The Toecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 05:40 AM   #57
Tuggin at the surly bonds

Re: You should go by the one

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Toecutter
You should go by the one finger rule.

If you cannot push your car with one finger, there is a lot of room for improvement on your tire rolling resistance, wheel bearings, alignment, and/or transmission in regards to efficiency.
Oh, I thought you meant the <em>other</em> one finger rule.
Old 05-14-2006, 10:41 AM   #58
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to tomauto Send a message via MSN to tomauto Send a message via Yahoo to tomauto

111. You consider taking out your $1,200 sound system so the alternator runs less.
112. Plan on spending $500 for a head swap to Vtec-E.
113. Get a ticket for speeding after spring break, and vow to never speed again.
114. Tell mom that you can't follow the speed limit and go 10 under when she is late for a dinner date with a college friend.
115. Show up to a dinner reservation 10 minutes late and find mom's friend finished eating...and responded, I had to keep my FE.
116. Explained bump-starting to company at the dinner table.
117. Surrounded in a town where everybody drives trucks...pull up to a gas pump and notice a $120 dollar fill up, and look at your tank fill to $21 dollars. Then smugly continue on your way.
Beater: 1988 Honda Civic DX Hatback - Stripped - 30mpg

RIP: 1996 Honda Civic LX 42mpg - you will be missed

https://tomauto.smugmug.com/Cars
tomauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 11:44 AM   #59
Registered Member

118. While turning around on a three point turn you drive up bumps and curbs and lawns to roll back down without having to shift into reverse.
Old 05-14-2006, 04:01 PM   #60
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to tomauto Send a message via MSN to tomauto Send a message via Yahoo to tomauto
Re: Quote:83 you tried to bump

Quote:
Originally Posted by philmcneal
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickflipjr
Quote:
83 you tried to bump start in reverse but failed miserably
I hope you didn't try that. If you did, you are a fuel economy freak.

lol i got the look when i did, it was very embarrasing!

every quote i put there and many others that has mentioned iam all guilty of! I'm a bad *** when it comes to fuel economy even if I have to do the most outrageous things for it.

That's what happened when your dad not to agreed to get you a hybrid in the first place, this is my way of fighting back albiet a lot more work boo ;(

oh and since my driveway is some messed up hill turning left... i've managed to somehow try to reverse into my driveway without not trying to burn too much clutch although when climbing the hill you can feel the RUMBLE of the engine really wanting to stall but it still climbs! at least in the morning i can roll down and pop it into gear and bump start away! without keying on since a cold bump start is so much smoother than a cold key start.

Just got to master that bump starting some more, reviving the engine without too much revs is the hardest part. Oh and wheel covers are not a reality yet with too much rain around here.

119. You look at #83 to be a challenge. Then you go to your inclined carport, and put it in reverse with clutch in, wait for a little momentum, and then let the clutch out, and scream in joy when the car starts up with no jerkiness. - then in pure joy, you come back to the website and type as quickly as you can to tell everybody that it is possible to bump start in reverse!

Beater: 1988 Honda Civic DX Hatback - Stripped - 30mpg

RIP: 1996 Honda Civic LX 42mpg - you will be missed

https://tomauto.smugmug.com/Cars
tomauto is offline   Reply With Quote