49/51 Coolant/Water ratio for a warmer engine? - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > Experiments, Modifications and DIY
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2008, 02:06 AM   #21
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to getnpsi
On all vehicles i own, ive noticed when ecus encounter coolant temp above spec'd temperature, they will rev the idle higher. I guess its to spin the cooling system faster, especially the rwd's with mechanical fans. the car thinks it's dying. To guys over 30...remember older cars with bad fans/radiators? We used to bring our idle up to 1500rpm in the drive-thru to not overheat.

the company evans cooling sells no-water based coolant. its pretty convincing to go for it. However im cheap and have just bought the premixed 50.50 stuff,topping off with distilled as necessary.

getnpsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 07:24 AM   #22
Registered Member

50/50 pre-mix is a ripoff

COMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 10:00 AM   #23
Registered Member

well ya your paying the same price for half the product but comes in handy in a pinch.

yea if your car is overheating its best to accually rev it up in neutral or park, gets thew water pump spinning faster thus coolant moving faster
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 10:31 AM   #24
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteOwner View Post
well ya your paying the same price for half the product but comes in handy in a pinch.

yea if your car is overheating its best to accually rev it up in neutral or park, gets thew water pump spinning faster thus coolant moving faster
and turning the heater on
COMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 09:02 AM   #25
Registered Member

that too and turn it on full blast
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 12:59 PM   #26
Registered Member

My machinist showed me the cylinder liners from a diesel that had had cavitation problems perhaps caused by the wrong use of coolent. The pitting caused wall failure and the overhaul.

There are directions on the anti-freeze bottle for a reason.
623,000 miles on original engine and transmission, using Amsoil by-pass filters and lubrication.
+Everybody knows something you don't know.
+Artists prove truth can be in forms you don't understand.

Low-Risk Option Trader
Retired Pro-Hunter featured in; 'African Hunter', by James R. Mellon III. and listed in; Rowland Ward's Records of Big Game.
shatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 03:22 PM   #27
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to suspendedhatch
A thermostat DOES NOT control the temperature. It controls the MINIMUM temperature. The fan is supposed to control the MAXIMUM temperature, but it can only do so up to a point.

Don't raise your radiator cap pressure until after you've vhecked/replaced all your coolant and heater hoses.

Raising your coolant temp will not improve your fuel economy. All it's going to do is make your radiator fan come on all the time, cook your oil, raise your NOx emissions, and possibly blow your headgasket. Warm the fuel if you want it to vaporize better, but don't warm the air. That just makes it more difficult for the engine to fill the cylinders.

My coolant temp was unfortunately hovering around 220-225 degrees F until I recently made some fixes and brought it down to 200. Now my radiator fan isn't coming on all the time. So far there hasn't been any significant change to FE.

Civic VX, D15Z7, 5 Speed LSD, AEM EMS, AEM UEGO, AEM Twin Fire, Distributor-less, Waste Spark
suspendedhatch is offline   Reply With Quote