49/51 Coolant/Water ratio for a warmer engine? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > Experiments, Modifications and DIY
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 08-23-2008, 02:16 PM   #1
Registered Member

49/51 Coolant/Water ratio for a warmer engine?

It's about time for me to flush my radiator and i'm thinking of putting more water in my 50/50 coolant mix to make the engine run a little bit warmer and efficient. (hence 49/51) Would this be effective in warming the engine because of less coolant? Should I use more water? Or is it just a bad idea?

hound_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 02:41 PM   #2
Site Team / Moderator

Water is actually more efficient at moving heat than antifreeze. The main benefit of antifreeze is that it raises the boiling temp and lowers the freezing temp. Look at the back of the bottle of antifreeze and decide how low of an antifreeze concentration you are willing to try. I would make sure that your boiling point stay @ 220 or higher, and how comfortable you are with the freezing point.

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 02:52 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue View Post
Water is actually more efficient at moving heat than antifreeze. The main benefit of antifreeze is that it raises the boiling temp and lowers the freezing temp. Look at the back of the bottle of antifreeze and decide how low of an antifreeze concentration you are willing to try. I would make sure that your boiling point stay @ 220 or higher, and how comfortable you are with the freezing point.

-Jay
correct the pressure does it to
COMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 03:02 PM   #4
Site Team / Moderator

I forgot about that... Replacing your radiator cap with one with a higher rated pressure will increase your boiling point as well.

-Jay

Old 08-23-2008, 04:18 PM   #5
Registered Member

The thermostat controls the temperature, so assuming your cooling system has the cooling capacity, changing the dar cap or the cooling mixture will not change the temp the car runs at. A higher pressure rad cap allows the temp to be higher before the cooling boils, but this by itself will not raise the operating temperature.
mrmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 04:48 PM   #6
Site Team / Moderator

No, of course the thermostat ultimately controls the operating temp of the engine, but I was trying to explain that you can cut back the concentration of antifreeze and preventing boilovers. If the coolant boils it will not properly cool the engine. I was merely suggesting that the OP could cut back the concentration of antifreeze and slightly increase the pressure cap to overcome the lower boiling point that would result from using less antifreeze.

-Jay

Old 08-24-2008, 08:24 PM   #7
DRW
Registered Member

How about combining a grill block with higher pressure rad cap and 70/30% water/coolant mix?

I confess, that's what I'm using. The grill block helps push temps up beyond what the thermostat can control while the higher ratio of water gives more cooling capacity, and the high pressure cap raises the boilover temp for a greater safety margin. It helps if you can monitor coolant temps with a more accurate gage to make sure the grill block doesn't block off too much airflow.
Old 08-25-2008, 03:58 AM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRW View Post
How about combining a grill block with higher pressure rad cap and 70/30% water/coolant mix?

I confess, that's what I'm using. The grill block helps push temps up beyond what the thermostat can control while the higher ratio of water gives more cooling capacity, and the high pressure cap raises the boilover temp for a greater safety margin. It helps if you can monitor coolant temps with a more accurate gage to make sure the grill block doesn't block off too much airflow.
hope you are using distilled water ,,everybody should
COMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 08:42 PM   #9
DRW
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMP View Post
hope you are using distilled water ,everybody should
Of course. A gallon is just 89 cents at walmart,
cheap enough to drink!
Old 08-25-2008, 08:51 PM   #10
Registered Member

I run evans waterless coolant in all of my diesels. this allows much higher temps before it will boil.

mikehallbackhoe is offline   Reply With Quote