5W-30 (cheap) to 0W-20 (expensive) - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > Experiments, Modifications and DIY
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2007, 05:54 PM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPatrick View Post
Yeah I have been reading good things about that Amsoil filter, but at the time my aquaintance had time to do the tune up I wasn't able to get one right away from Autozone. I probably need to order some online for the next time...Let me know how that Mobil 1 oil is doing for you. How many miles do you have on your engine?
You'll have to get the filter from an Amsoil dealer. Kinda like Amway.
It was exciting trying to get the oil. I finally found out that the local O'Reillys keeps it in back. It will be several months before I make the change to 0W-20. For now, I just gaze fondly at the oil from time to time.
218,xxx miles on the VX. I have all the seats out right now. Should make for some great FE!

Old 07-14-2007, 05:57 PM   #12
Supporting Member

I hope you kept the driver seat

Did you happen to weigh the passenger seat and rear seats to see what you are saving in weight now?

McPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 06:27 PM   #13
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigifrith View Post
You'll have to get the filter from an Amsoil dealer. Kinda like Amway.
And if any gassavers members care, I actually went through the paperwork (a while back) to become a full Amsoil dealer.

So if any forum members are looking for Amsoil products, send me a PM (include a telephone number, if you would prefer me to call you and talk voice) and I'll be glad to (privately) discuss what special discounts (below full retail) Amsoil will let me offer forum members here (Amsoil rules prevent public "advertising" some of the allowed discounts, so PM for details on what you want to order, and I'll be glad to work up a quote for you).

NOTE: Amsoil has pretty strict rules on switching dealers once you're already an Amsoil customer (even if you become an Amsoil customer by just making a single "online" purchase)! So I'm not able (due to Amsoil rules) to help any gassavers members that have purchased from another Amsoil dealer (even just "online") in the last year or two. Likewise, if any gassavers members are interested in trying Amsoil products, it's more important than you might think to pick which "dealer" you want to purchase from (as you may be locked into that specific dealer by just making your first purchase)...

BTW:
I personally use those Amsoil EaO (nano-fiber) oil filters (already mentioned in this forum thread), and I personally think they are "worth it" (they certainly help my oil last longer, and they might even help my gas mileage a little bit). Yes, they cost a lot more than some filters, but tests (both by Amsoil, and the folks over on the "Bob is the Oil Guy" forums) have shown that they really do work much better than stock oil filters at keeping the oil cleaner for a longer period of time. As surprising as it sounds, these nano-tech "EaO" filters (being sold by Amsoil) have the seemingly contradictory properties of simultaneously having both good flow rate and large capacity, while also filtering much finer partials than stock oil filters. So if you want your oil to stay nice and clean, these are the filters to get IMHO.
DracoFelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 06:45 PM   #14
Registered Member

Yeah sorry for the confusion with the earlier post. I updated it to make it correct. The 0w-20 turned out to be BETTER in all regards than the 10w-30. Thus, people who thought that low weight oils are dangerous to use in your engine were wrong.

I second Dracofelis' advice on checking out www.bobistheoilguy.com I was recently pointed there from another forum that I frequent, www.tdiclub.com Chock full of information, both sites are!
Erdrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 04:57 AM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPatrick View Post
I hope you kept the driver seat

Did you happen to way the passenger seat and rear seats to see what you are saving in weight now?
I just took them out so I'd have more room to work. They will be going back in today.
Old 07-15-2007, 05:00 AM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DracoFelis View Post
NOTE: Amsoil has pretty strict rules on switching dealers once you're already an Amsoil customer (even if you become an Amsoil customer by just making a single "online" purchase)! So I'm not able (due to Amsoil rules) to help any gassavers members that have purchased from another Amsoil dealer (even just "online") in the last year or two. Likewise, if any gassavers members are interested in trying Amsoil products, it's more important than you might think to pick which "dealer" you want to purchase from (as you may be locked into that specific dealer by just making your first purchase)...
This doesn't seem right or legal. I buy something locally, then am forever bound to buy from that person? Not saying you are wrong, but it seems unAmerican.
Old 07-15-2007, 05:20 AM   #17
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigifrith View Post
This doesn't seem right or legal. I buy something locally, then am forever bound to buy from that person? Not saying you are wrong, but it seems unAmerican.
LOL, You actually read that thing? Hows the pyramid gonna stand up if the bottom blocks can exercise free-will?
Old 07-16-2007, 04:42 AM   #18
Registered Member

Ok.. so we have gotten quite off topic here. I will comment on the Amsoil debate though. While their business practices are a bit suspect, and frankly, could use a restructuring, that doesn't change the fact that their product is amazing. They currently make, hands down, the best oil filter in the business. Their synthetic oils, while usually not certified, are damn good anyways. I have never heard of someone being displeased with the performance of an Amsoil product. Then again, I haven't really looked for someone who could be described like that... so perhaps they are out there somewhere.

Anyways, this is a thread about plain run of the mill 5w-30s and high quality 0w-20s... and seeing which of them performs better. I have little doubt that the latter will beat the former, but it should be fun to check this out for sure.

Erdrick is offline   Reply With Quote