5W-30 (cheap) to 0W-20 (expensive) - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 07-14-2007, 06:47 AM   #1
Registered Member

5W-30 (cheap) to 0W-20 (expensive)

I figured that it is high time that I make the switch over to synthetic lubrication. My company pays all of my car-related costs, so there is no reason NOT to.

Until recently I have been changing my oil at a quick-lube/auto parts store, and using whatever their house brand of 5w-30 is. I recently switched over to Elf Brilliant 0w-20. Unfortunately, my company mandates 5k km oil change intervals for the "health" of the car. While I don't buy into the necessity of that, they ARE the ones paying, so I don't talk back.

Anyways, I have already noticed a MUCH easier start in the morning. I got a new battery for the car before because I thought the old one was dying. Perhaps it was, or perhaps it was just that the oil was causing harder starts. Either way, I now have a top of the line battery in my car and great oil to boot. My starts have never been better.

Being that the car only has about 40-50 h.p. (660cc), I haven't noticed anything in the power area. I will definitely post my results as to how much my mileage improves. I just read an article in a Japanese car magazine today that debunked the common thinking in Japan that lower weight oils (specifically synthetic 0s) are harmful to your engine. In fact, they performed BETTER than stock dino oils in all of the tests that they ran.

I can't wait to see what I expect to be around a 5% change in mileage.

Erdrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 07:20 AM   #2
Supporting Member

So the article concluded that the lower weight oils ARE harmful for your engine? Maybe I am not getting that line.

I wouldn't mind seeing some pics of your car. I know in Japan all kinds of cool small cars are driving around.

I haven't dared to use synthetic oil yet as I wanted to scope things out first like: does the car use any oil, does it seem to leak anywhere. I know light weight synthetic oil can cause more leaking.
Wouldn't mindtrying it out in the near future though if everything stays healthy as it does right now.

McPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 07:26 AM   #3
Supporting Member

I get my oil from wallyworld... their brand of fully synthetic 5w/10w-30 is ~$13.00 for 5Qt. At that price I still change my oil every 3,000mi.

my favorite thread
88HF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 09:17 AM   #4

The SuperTech Syn is good oil ...much better than a 3k oci . You should be good to 5-7.5k . I have used it and have no complaints about the ST syn oil.
Personally I'm a big fan of the 0wXX oils . If ST produced it it would be an inexpensive viable alternative to the $5+/qt Name brands.
My next change will be done in @ 1k and 0w20 it will be .Penz Platinum Hybrid ,M1 (which I have stashed) or Amsoil will be the brand choices .
Would love to hear extended use updates Erdrick !
MnFocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 09:22 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPatrick View Post
So the article concluded that the lower weight oils ARE harmful for your engine? Maybe I am not getting that line.

I wouldn't mind seeing some pics of your car. I know in Japan all kinds of cool small cars are driving around.

I haven't dared to use synthetic oil yet as I wanted to scope things out first like: does the car use any oil, does it seem to leak anywhere. I know light weight synthetic oil can cause more leaking.
Wouldn't mindtrying it out in the near future though if everything stays healthy as it does right now.
No - UOA have shown/proven in most cases lighter weights are Not harmful.
Yes - PICS!!!!
Try Valvoline Maxlife Synthetic McPatrick . It seems to do very well with minor seal leaks . The cost at Wally's is about $20-22 per gallon jug .
Old 07-14-2007, 01:19 PM   #6
Supporting Member

Cause it makes me feel good. Then I heat up the oil on the stove and pour it over baby seals.

my favorite thread
88HF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 01:50 PM   #7

howz that make ya feel then ?
Old 07-14-2007, 04:47 PM   #8
Supporting Member

There are worse things to do than changing your oil every 3000 miles. The number is kinda arbitrary though I think and the oil changing industry in the US has been succesful in making the audience believe that that is what is needed.
In Europe if you change your oil every 10.000 km or over 6000 miles that is alrady considered a short interval. Newer cars sometimes don't require it till after 20.000 km.
Driving with fresh oil is undeniably good for your engine, but you may as well do it every 2000 miles if you want the very best, or every 4000 miles. I doubt it will make much difference. But that's just my opinion.
Old 07-14-2007, 05:14 PM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPatrick View Post
There are worse things to do than changing your oil every 3000 miles. ...... But that's just my opinion.
Thats what UOA's are for. I'm testing Auto-RX in my truck. If it proves satisfactory, I'll run it thru the VX, then go to Mobil 1 0W-20 with an Amsoil nanofilter.

Some good reading on Motor Oil here:http://63.240.161.99/motoroil/
Old 07-14-2007, 05:43 PM   #10
Supporting Member

Yeah I have been reading good things about that Amsoil filter, but at the time my aquaintance had time to do the tune up I wasn't able to get one right away from Autozone. I probably need to order some online for the next time...Let me know how that Mobil 1 oil is doing for you. How many miles do you have on your engine?