95metro about to conduct ambitious (blind & controlled) acetone test - cancelled - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Android Users - Coming Soon! - Migrating from aCar 4.8 to 5.0

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > Experiments, Modifications and DIY
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-13-2006, 08:19 AM   #11
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 238
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanGeo
You guys need to setup a 1 gallon jug for a fuel tank and run that inside the car with a valve to switch on the gas tank again. The issue is of course the fuel pump DUH!! which is in the tank so a pressurized tank..
Mercy! A separate jug of gasoline (with a switch) in the car with you? A calibrated jug? Please, please don't hit anything! Or... have some clown hit you! ARGH! Fireball city! Will your glass melt? You betcha'! Will your ashes blow in the wind? You betcha'! ARGH! -Ted Hart (from a distance)
__________________

Ted Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 11:29 AM   #12
Registered Member
 
JanGeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,442
Country: United States
Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Hart
Mercy! A separate jug of gasoline (with a switch) in the car with you? A calibrated jug? Please, please don't hit anything! Or... have some clown hit you! ARGH! Fireball city! Will your glass melt? You betcha'! Will your ashes blow in the wind? You betcha'! ARGH! -Ted Hart (from a distance)
Augh come on now Ted - live a little!! Back in my Rambler days a 1 gallon glass jug on the front seat worked great - you could actually see the gas going down as you drove. I figured out then that a stop cost about a cup of gas to get going again. This was back in the early 70's when there were no air bags in cars. They used to show the gas economy tests on TV commercials with the clear jug on the hood or was it in the car? This is going back before you young kids.

Just because a cup of gasoline has the explosive force of a stick of TNT is no reason to Fear it ???

Hey I even wear my cell phone on my left hip right next to my left hand holding the gas nozzle when I fill up my car. RING BOOM!! LOL.
__________________

JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 11:40 AM   #13
Registered Member
 
JanGeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,442
Country: United States
Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG
Mark cancelled the test. Running the car out of gas proved problematic, and inconsistent:
Too bad, but still gets an "A" for ambition.
GOD I would have told you not to run out of fuel because the first thing that happens when you get low is it starts to suck air from the tank and that makes the engine run really rough. Then the fuel spurts through the fuel lines and can blast junk in the lines right through the fuel filter element. Then the fuel pump is lubricated and cooled by the fuel going through it and in the case of the VW Rabbit the brushes of the fuel pump motor were supposed to be in fuel although I have a hard time believing that.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 10:06 AM   #14
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 238
Country: United States
The danger of running the gas tank dry...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanGeo
GOD I would have told you not to run out of fuel because the first thing that happens when you get low is it starts to suck air from the tank and that makes the engine run really rough. Then the fuel spurts through the fuel lines and can blast junk in the lines right through the fuel filter element. Then the fuel pump is lubricated and cooled by the fuel going through it and in the case of the VW Rabbit the brushes of the fuel pump motor were supposed to be in fuel although I have a hard time believing that.
I learned something (the hard way!) about in-tank electric fuel pumps...the liquid gasoline acts as a coolant for the pump! No gas (or, low gas repeatedly) will allow the pump to overheat- burning the windings out (they're just fine copper wires) on the field windings! I (now) never allow the gas gauge...sticky / inaccurate... get below the 1/4 marking! It beats walking!
Ted Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 10:16 AM   #15
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 238
Country: United States
How many rings? LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanGeo
Augh come on now Ted - live a little!! Back in my Rambler days a 1 gallon glass jug on the front seat worked great - you could actually see the gas going down as you drove.

This is going back before you young kids.

Just because a cup of gasoline has the explosive force of a stick of TNT is no reason to Fear it ???

Hey I even wear my cell phone on my left hip right next to my left hand holding the gas nozzle when I fill up my car. RING BOOM!! LOL.
We "young kids" used to do MPG checks in our '77 Gremlin (A Rambler?LOL) with a calibrated glass cylinder ... actually a large burette ... hanging from the right-side visor mount. Did you notice the huge volume of gas it took to idle?

Napalm is / was? made from mixing gasoline and flake laundry soap ("Kids!" Don't try this at home!). Did you ever slide across a car seat and touch the door handle? Zap! Better than a cell 'phone! LOL
Oh! "Young kids" didn't fight in SEA! Wanna see my medal??? -Ted Hart
__________________

Ted Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Incorrect Milage Calcuatlion PatM Fuelly Web Support and Community News 4 07-17-2009 08:21 PM
"active" aero grille slats on 06 civic concept MetroMPG General Fuel Topics 21 01-03-2006 01:02 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.