A/C Modification Idea - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 09-17-2008, 03:25 PM   #11
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
I find that with the fan on low and max cold setting and recirculate - it doesn't run the compressor that much and if I turn off the A/C and keep it on recirculate it stays cold for about 5 minutes without the compressor running. Then I will turn on the A/C when slowing down or on a down hill and turn it off when I accelerate since it really bogs down the engine between shifts. Once the car cools down and the evaporator gets good and cold it really doesn't take much power to keep cool - of course my White xB is pretty cool anyways.

JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 04:42 AM   #12
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to therealtime
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanGeo View Post
I find that with the fan on low and max cold setting and recirculate - it doesn't run the compressor that much and if I turn off the A/C and keep it on recirculate it stays cold for about 5 minutes without the compressor running. Then I will turn on the A/C when slowing down or on a down hill and turn it off when I accelerate since it really bogs down the engine between shifts. Once the car cools down and the evaporator gets good and cold it really doesn't take much power to keep cool - of course my White xB is pretty cool anyways.
See, my issue is that when I turn the a/c on with the fan on the lowest setting and the vent set to recirculate it gets too cold. But if i turn the a/c off and leave the fan on it gets hot again after a few minutes. I could do the standard method that everyone else mentioned and just keep switching it on and off myself, but unlike everyone else I guess am lazy. My commute is 65 miles or so each way and I dont want to keep sitting up and reaching for the a/c button. I would rather have a circuit that could perform that switching itself (like a thermostat). Fogging shouldnt be any more of a concern with the thermostat than it is with the manual switching on/off with your body being the thermistor.

therealtime is offline   Reply With Quote