A question about turbocharger - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > Experiments, Modifications and DIY
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 08-25-2009, 02:32 AM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to ZHangYang
A question about turbocharger

Im doing a research recently, need to get the turbine spinning speed at different working conditions. Yet, lacking of equipments, does anybody know how to get the spinning speed by Mathematics method?
Thanks a lot!

Old 08-25-2009, 04:08 AM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZHangYang View Post
Im doing a research recently, need to get the turbine spinning speed at different working conditions. Yet, lacking of equipments, does anybody know how to get the spinning speed by Mathematics method?
Thanks a lot!
For a free-flowing application you would do a volumetric calculation based on the volume of the exhaust turbine and the volume of exhaust gas (combined with a few other factors like pressure drop). For a real-world application, you would then have to subtract the resistance from the compressor and friction...

-BC

Old 08-25-2009, 04:41 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobc455 View Post
For a free-flowing application you would do a volumetric calculation based on the volume of the exhaust turbine and the volume of exhaust gas (combined with a few other factors like pressure drop). For a real-world application, you would then have to subtract the resistance from the compressor and friction...

-BC
if i get the pressure and the temperature of the exhaust gas, and the parameter after it passing through the turbine, is it enough? Is there any formulas I can use?
Old 08-25-2009, 04:43 AM   #4
Registered Member

For a lot of data and calculations as it applies to vehicle turbochargers, look on a torrent search engine for "Maximum Boost" by Corky Bell.
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 05:50 PM   #5
Registered Member

It seems a complicated question. I decide to check the information in the labrary first. Thank you for your help.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:48 AM   #6
Site Team

Definitely not a simple calculation, and I'm not sure you'll find a simple formula. You definitely need a lot more information than just temperature and pressure, you have to know the geometry of the vanes and have a complete 3D model of the entire turbine system (as well as some information about the exhaust system to which it is attached).

Why are you looking to determine turbine speeds? Maybe there is another way to skin the cat...

-Bob C.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:11 AM   #7
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to kamesama980 Send a message via Yahoo to kamesama980
ask the manufacturer. They usually have volumes of info they can look up.
mechanic, carpenter, stagehand, rigger, and know-it-all smartass
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
kamesama980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 08:46 AM   #8
Registered Member

You should be able to find flow maps for most turbochargers online.
Here's an example:
GasSavers_bobski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 08:34 PM   #9
Registered Member

Now I realize that it is not a simple question. Maybe I should deal with it based on a computer software. But the direct way to solve the problem is to measure the turbocharger rotational speed by equipment, right?
Old 08-27-2009, 02:58 AM   #10
Site Team

Again, not so easy - since many turbos spin at 30,000 to 60,000 RPM (and I've heard of some at 100k+ RPM), attaching equipment will most likely create additional drag (affecting your reading), and/or create a balance issue with the spinning turbine (which would cause it to self-destruct in short order). Besides, a tach to read 60,000 RPM is pretty highly specialized.

Are you trying to design a turbocharger?

-BC