Acetone - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 11-09-2006, 09:23 AM   #11
Registered Member

I have tried additives in the past and I don't plan to try them again. There were no results with any of them, including acetone. Instead I decided to focus on driving habits and managed a handy 25% increase in average fuel economy, with the capability to reach numbers in the region of 50% improved or better if I give it 100% effort. I agree with Metro, simply looking at your tank results is not a good way to test this kind of thing. It requires instrumentation as a minimum, and really should be done in a lab. The human factors are way too significant otherwise.

Old 11-09-2006, 02:29 PM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG
It's great that you're getting good fuel economy, but tank to tank results are not a good basis to authoritatively assert that something "works" or not. There are simply too many variables at play.

I've also yet to see a properly controlled test showing beneficial FE effects of acetone.
I don't know of any controlled tests, but I do know that the fact that my '93 Accord is getting an additional six mpg in the city and eight on the highway is no coincidence. I was driving it for about five months before acetone, and have been driving for two months with it. The best I could get before acetone was 24/30. I now get 30/38. Occasionally, I will do better. The best I have seen was 34 in the city and 40 on the highway.

It seems to work better on older cars. Most of the people saying that it does nothing that I've seen are driving cars that are only a few years old whereas the cars that have been around for a while get better results. I think it may be because of carbon buildup in the engine and injectors. Acetone is an ingredient in most fuel injector cleaners.

repete86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 02:41 PM   #13
Registered Member

I think it's great that you're getting better mileage. Seriously!

But without results from controlled testing, I'll remain skeptical. Nothing personal.

Quote:
I think it may be because of carbon buildup in the engine and injectors. Acetone is an ingredient in most fuel injector cleaners.
Are you still using it now that you've cleaned your fuel system?
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 02:57 PM   #14
Registered Member

I'm still using it, and it's remained consistent. I'm not sure about what I want to do next to the car though. I'm trying to get the best mileage that I can out of it. I'm thinking that freeing up the air intake and exhaust will be my next step.
repete86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 05:04 PM   #15
Registered Member

This has gone on for years. In refining, this is what off brand gasoline is for, if you have a batch of a few thousand gallons, you can dispose of a bit of off spec industrial solvents in the mix, none the wiser.

-Emil Faber
Spule 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 10:46 AM   #16
Registered Member

Well i do agree that ACETONE cleans the fuel injectors but thats not the only reason it boost gas mileage, because as soon as i stop using acetone the MPG goes back down to my norm

also if your using ethanol blend gasoline this will neutralize the benefit of the acetone, you might get a 0-5% boost in MPG while with strait gasoline and acetone you should get 10-35% increase in MPG.
GasSavers_lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 10:49 AM   #17
Registered Member

also oil companies are in the buisness to make money, they would not make a more efficient fuel unless the government forced them too, they know that if they make a fuel that is 10-35% more efficient that they will lose that much in profit.
Old 11-10-2006, 11:17 AM   #18
*shrug*

Quote:
Originally Posted by lane
also oil companies are in the buisness to make money, they would not make a more efficient fuel unless the government forced them too, they know that if they make a fuel that is 10-35% more efficient that they will lose that much in profit.
If an oil company could make a gas that much more efficient, they would. They'd somehow protect their mystery blend and drive everyone else out of business and then charge outrageous monopoly rates on people. I sincerely doubt any company resists simple, cheap, "proven" things that can better their product by a third.

I mean, car companies spend millions of dollars doing little crap to eek out better efficiency and test new ideas, you'd think if it were so easy toyota would just buy a chain of stations and sell toyota gas to be all, look at me, I'm toyota and my hybrids get 100 mpg when using special, toyota hybrid gas. But of course, that's complete crap.

So is a 35% increase from acetone. It's just ridiculous.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 11:30 AM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lane
also if your using ethanol blend gasoline this will neutralize the benefit of the acetone, you might get a 0-5% boost in MPG while with strait gasoline and acetone you should get 10-35% increase in MPG.
Why??
zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 12:18 PM   #20
Registered Member

partly because ethanol has a lower energy content than gasoline but besides that i have no clue. But i know that this is true from my own expierience, from the very first time i filled up with Ethanol blend gas E10 my MPG dropped by 5 MPG