Acetone - Page 4 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 03-18-2007, 08:24 AM   #31

When my metro xfi was stock I could pick up 1-2mpg with acetone. Now with the cam advanced a few degrees and 10.5:1 compression acetone doesn't do anything except make it knock more.

One idea is maybe acetone lowers the octane rating of the gas slightly so if your timing is not advanced as far as it should be then it helps your mileage by making the timing match the fuel burn speed more closely. I can't see it actually changing it much so maybe .1 point lower on the rating. This would be about the same as advancing your ignition timing maybe 1 degree. One degree of timing advance might give you 1-3mpg depending on how far off optimal the timing is.

Just an idea from what I have seen with using acetone. Prob not right though just a wild guess.

CoyoteX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 09:17 AM   #32
*shrug*

Acetone has an octane of 150.

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 09:21 AM   #33
Registered Member

If I saw a properly controlled acetone test, I would look more closely at it.

The results of tank-to-tank testing of any fuel and/or oil additive are subject to too many external variables to make authoritative claims with a straight face.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence, and nobody has shown any quality evidence when it comes to acetone.
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 07:20 PM   #34
Registered Member

Would it be possible to get some feedback regarding this page ? http://www.lubedev.com/articles/additive.htm
It seems to very well written and informative but I'm not an engineer . Thanks
GasSavers_RunningOnFumes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 07:35 PM   #35
*shrug*

I'm not an engineer either, but I think his writings are very far off the mark. If you read through them carefully you will not things that are blatantly not true and/or completely misleading.

Tony's Fuel Saving Info is the best resource for debunking such an article. But I'm sure someone will disagree...
Old 03-27-2007, 08:08 PM   #36
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
If I saw a properly controlled acetone test, I would look more closely at it.

The results of tank-to-tank testing of any fuel and/or oil additive are subject to too many external variables to make authoritative claims with a straight face.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence, and nobody has shown any quality evidence when it comes to acetone.
Well how do we know areo mods work? Even some seasoned hypermilers say it works. They don't talk about it much cause they get slammed.

My tanks have gotten pretty stable since the ECU change in my Civic. I may give this a try. I will be off the WAI soon also. This time of the year rain and winds can have a effect. But the cold temps are going to be gone. I think I will give this a try. I know how hard it is for me to get a 50 mpg tank out of my Civic.

Think I'll try it. Wont be a controlled test. I know my marks and what Im going to be getting if certin conditions and the whys about them. Might be fun.

psy
psyshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 05:27 AM   #37
Registered Member

Well , I've put in a mild solution of acetone into my LS1 powered Chevy truck . These engines are known for being economical for thier dispacement as well as their power out put . The last mileage check I did with a topped up tank on a highway trip was 21mpg . This was averaging 70mph with the a/c on the entire way . Also I was going north from N.O. into northern Mississippi so I got into hill country . I know that this was only one time and that you need a log , which I didn't have , but will now . With prices the way they are I usually just put in 10 gallons at a time and run it back down to the quarter tank mark . I know that 's not accurate but I'm estimating I average about 16 to 16.5 around town with some highway going to work . I'll let you guys know if I see any kind of gain at all . Guess I need a scanguage , right ? How much do those run ? Thanks
GasSavers_RunningOnFumes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 09:43 PM   #38
Registered Member

How do we put this issue to bed? Maybe a scangauge, a baseline consisting of 3 bidirectional 6 mile runs at 55 with cruise control, pull over to add the acetone and then maybe two more runs? Any other controls to add to the test? I am really curious as to the controversy over this... so skeptics unite and lets create the test to find the truth!
GasSavers_Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 10:12 PM   #39
Registered Member

Red face Man, I feel dumb now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
How do we put this issue to bed? Maybe a scangauge, a baseline consisting of 3 bidirectional 6 mile runs at 55 with cruise control, pull over to add the acetone and then maybe two more runs?
Why didn't I think of that?!?! It's so simple and obvious! *bangs head on desk* I kept on thinking: "how on earth can I drive with acetone in one trip & then drive without the next?". Starting off the experiment without acetone and then adding it later makes SO MUCH sense that I feel silly!

I'll definitely make that one of my next YouTube experiments! Thanks. Awesome first post!

Attachment 382
Attached Images

Peakster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 04:37 AM   #40
*shrug*

Indeed, but that always has the issue of, "it got warmer" or something else coming with it. I think if someone actually pulled an injector out of their car and taped the spray to show the "difference" in vaporization it might be interesting. *shrug*