Acetone additive : big dissappointment - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > Experiments, Modifications and DIY
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2008, 06:49 PM   #11
Registered Member

2,2 li/100 ?
That's like 108MPG! :-)

Nice... Same gas consumption as a Honda moped. (bravo mon gars)

If I get it, it is a smart 0.8L CDI turbo diesel engine with 40HP ?

I'm surprised it can pull 1800lbs (car plus a fat body) at a decent acceleration.

sonyhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 09:54 PM   #12
Registered Member

I am using acetone(pure acetone, from Sally Beauty Supply) at the rate of 3oz/10 gallons in my tank. I am also using xylene aka xylol(from Lowes) at the same dosage.

Time will tell, per mpg at fillup, the onboard mileage computer looks great but the mpg at the pump is a lot lower. Possibly the van load(avg trip I end up with around an extra 2-400lbs on the drive home) other factors might be a/c,tire loading etc, and the fact that it is up and down hills/city driving.

I reset my computer today, something that I never did after I installed the h2 jars and hooked it all up.

Like I say, time will tell.

GasSavers_roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 06:31 PM   #13
Registered Member

What I found in the testing for my gas mileage episodes of the show is that different brands of gasoline with their proprietary additives make a difference with the aftermarket additives.

We tried 7 branded and unbranded formulations before finding the correct blending, BP, Mobile, Speedway/Marathon, Valero, Shell and Meijer.

The Valero and Shell gasolines netted the poorest gains. BP and Mobile the second best. Marathon and Meijer got us the best results. Also keep in mind your state laws regarding alcohol formulations. Michigan requires virtually no labeling of the pumps.

With hypermilage techniques and no Acetone we netted mileage increases from the stock 15 mpg to 20.3 mpg. With the Acetone the gain went to 25.6 mpg. Also keep in mind the age of the engine, type of ECU, type of fuel injection and general layout of the engine play a major part in any increases with additives. Not to mention it took several months of work to get to the right amount of Acetone in the fuel. We settled on 4.5 ounces per 20 gallons.

Just because you get different results in different conditions or driving loops doesn't meant that the additive doesn't work. I'd expect at least 20 full tanks of fuel before you could dial in the results. Don't believe quick and dirty advice on this type of experiment.

Proud owner of Stinkerbutt!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
-Air Raid cone filter, direct to TB
-Homebrew front air dam
-Homebrew side skirt
-Torza top bed cover
-Now featuring front wheel canards!
kitcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 08:21 PM   #14
Registered Member

I've had varying results with Meijer gas so it's not a good fuel for mileage testing. Mileage testing is hard enough without low quality batches of fuel mixing things up. So far in Michigan I rank them in consistency, cleanliness, and acetone mileage as BP, Mobil, Marathon, and Shell. Each company's additives do affect how much is lost with ethanol.

Engine cleanliness, tuning, IAT, and how long the acetone has been in the tank makes a difference. Gas n go acetone mileage can be different than sitting all night mileage. Sometimes when the IAT is high enough the mileage with acetone is almost the same as the mileage without.

Quantifying the increase from acetone and related additives is difficult enough that I'm not surprised that oil companies, auto companies, and university study groups can't figure it out.
severach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 08:28 PM   #15
Registered Member

Just wondering if acetone makes any kind of azeotropic mixture in the gas. If that's what's happening, that the exact right amount in solution depresses the boiling point of the mixture, then with acetone boiling at about 56 degrees C, then there might be some arrangement with boiling and using a fractionating column on a small sample that would pinpoint the concentration of acetone for maximum boiling point depression, i.e. best evaporation mixture.
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 12:59 PM   #16
Registered Member

I read about a guy who puts in 1 litre of turpentine or white spirit in with 58 litres of fuel and he said he got more power and better FE by 50 miles from a tank.
Old 12-31-2009, 05:03 AM   #17
Registered Member

Hi!
In my case the acetone was efficient: it improved about 25% the instant consumption.
My car - a Jaguar - has a 6cylinders 3600cc engine, with electronic assisted ignition.
I noticed the effect to be evident when driving out of town, especially on highway. For long trips, constant driving around 2500rpm, the instant consumption was even 35%.
And, I didn't changed the ignition timing: I presume it would help to give about 3 degrees of advance, because than the burning would start earlier and the total time of the burning process would be higher - that would mean less unburned gas going out with more power generated.
A suggestion about the engines: it might be possible for the acetone to work better when the engine is bigger or when the admission & ignition are adjusted.
Please don't forget about the remote controlled models, using basicaly acetone, or white spirit. It has to be a reason
GasSavers_raulc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 09:47 PM   #18
eee
Registered Member

I tried it in the fall/early winter, and was disappointed in the results for that tank of gas. I did feel it made the engine run smoother in the cold near startup. But the mpg's for that tank of gas were very unimpressive.

I believe they add alcohol to winter gas, and that alcohol improves the combustion efficiency already (despite reducting the btu's per gallon) so that little improvment can be made through additional additives like acetone.

anyways, whether there might be some miniscule mpg gain, it's not worth messing up the paint job on my car and risking fuel line rubber problems, in my case.
eee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 10:24 PM   #19

What Snopes.com has to say about acetone.
FrugalFloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 10:25 PM   #20
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulc View Post
Hi!
In my case the acetone was efficient: it improved about 25% the instant consumption.
My car - a Jaguar - has a 6cylinders 3600cc engine, with electronic assisted ignition.
I noticed the effect to be evident when driving out of town, especially on highway. For long trips, constant driving around 2500rpm, the instant consumption was even 35%.
And, I didn't changed the ignition timing: I presume it would help to give about 3 degrees of advance, because than the burning would start earlier and the total time of the burning process would be higher - that would mean less unburned gas going out with more power generated.
A suggestion about the engines: it might be possible for the acetone to work better when the engine is bigger or when the admission & ignition are adjusted.
Please don't forget about the remote controlled models, using basicaly acetone, or white spirit. It has to be a reason
theres some story online about a guy with a ford econoline that lasted him 600k with acetone ect.. looking up acetone test results now

spotaneagle is offline   Reply With Quote