After market exhaust on my F150 Ecoboost - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 11-19-2015, 01:03 PM   #1
Registered Member

Question After market exhaust on my F150 Ecoboost

Does anyone have any input concerning any aftermarket exhaust systems for the Ford F150 Ecoboost? I am looking at installing a Borla S-type exhaust, but didn't know if there are other exhaust systems that sound great on this vehicle.

ejstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 03:53 AM   #2
Registered Member

My only caution, and I appreciate you guys have different ways of doing things there, but I had a ss race exhaust on my last car, and although it sounded like Satan coughing, it failed the annual emissions tests three times in a row. Might not be a big deal, but thought I'd mention it anyway, especially seeing as there's alot of press coverage about emissions lately.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 02:48 PM   #3
Registered Member

Thank you

Thank you for your thoughts here. In Michigan our vehicles aren't even tested. I know they are in some states, but not here. There are so many options and brands. I really like the Borla S-type exhaust for the Ford f150 ecoboost.
Old 11-20-2015, 04:34 PM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via Skype™ to rfruth
I'd stick with the stock system if possible (save time & $$$, no back pressure or manifold issues etc.)

rfruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 08:48 AM   #5
Registered Member

Best exhaust for MPG is a stock dual exhaust with a connecting tube about half way thru the system. the crossover induces a better scavenging effect to pull the exhaust out of each cylinder
58DeSoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 01:56 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejstrickland View Post
Does anyone have any input concerning any aftermarket exhaust systems for the Ford F150 Ecoboost? I am looking at installing a Borla S-type exhaust, but didn't know if there are other exhaust systems that sound great on this vehicle.
My son had a Eagle Talon and had done several mods to the car including modifying the boost to a ridiculous pressure and after each mod he had the car tested on a dyno to see the change in H.P. Finally he sprung for a 3" stainless steel exhaust system that advertised 50 more H.P. Sounded great (he thought) but after dyno testing he found the increase was less than 5H.P. So all you really get with aftermarket exhaust is more noise and bragging rights.

Oh have heard good things about the F150 ecoboost engine. Just hate the name, SAAB had an eco model and it meant low output
Old 01-19-2017, 03:46 AM   #7
LDB
Registered Member

I've always liked Magnaflow. I agree the only real difference is the sound with maybe a handful of horsepower improvement. You won't see big gains partly because the same amount of air is going in to the engine so there can't be major changes in power. It's kind of like if you have a 1 or 2 inch drain in a barrel but the same spigot putting water in. Anyway, you can hear sound clips on their website etc. if you want to check them out.

LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 04:41 AM   #8
Registered Member

Smile After market exhaust

I know Magnaflow is a good exhaust system. I'm actually thinking of going with a programmer developed from Southern Performance Inc. I've done a lot of research and so far it seems to be a great way to enhance performance. I appreciate your comment.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:22 PM   #9
Registered Member

Borla, Magnaflow and Flowmaster are all great exhausts. They cost a bit more than others, but there are a lot of development hours going into them to make sure they don’t drone or rob power from the engine.

If you are getting an exhaust on the truck, I would highly recommend that you tune your ECU as well. I had a number of sport bikes in the past, and they all had straight pipes, a high flow air filter and some sort of ECU tune. The exhaust and air filter mod doesn’t give you much horsepower, but after the ECU is re-mapped everything comes together very nicely. I have no emission testing either where I live, so I don’t have to worry about that either. The ECU tune also has other benefits like smooth throttle response, better sound, eliminates redundant systems that were programmed in to meet emissions / noise. My younger brother has a 2007 Golf GTI and a company reflashed his ECU when he was at 124,000 miles. The engine power went from 205hp to 275hp and it cost about $400. He also has a K&N air filter and a modified muffler. Anyways, long story short he currently has 230,000 miles and had no issues with the engine whatsoever. The way he drives, I figured he would be blowing up the turbo or crack the engine by now. The company that tuned his ECU also uploaded 3 maps (Economical, Standard, Tuned) and he can change between them anytime with the odometer trip reset button. I think the purpose for the multiple maps is to set the car back to standard when it is being tested for smog.

In the past I had to ship off the ECU in the mail and wait a few weeks until it came back. Nowadays, you can buy a “Tactrix Open Port 2” cable that you can plug into your laptop and car, and do the tune over the internet. I bought some long tube exhaust headers and K&N air filters for my C55 and will be paying around $250 to Eurocharged Toronto to send me the laptop cable and the engine map so that I can upload them myself. I should be able to go from 362hp/376lbft to 400hp/410lbft.

BlueRover, I hate the “ecoboost” word as well. There is something about that word that implies boosted for economy and not for power; and that doesn’t sit right with me. Maybe they should have called it “egoboost”.

luv2spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 04:18 PM   #10
Registered Member

luv2sp

Love your new rear logo