Air scoop for mpg? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 11-17-2007, 03:53 AM   #1
Registered Member

Air scoop for mpg?

Has anyone tried adding an air scoop to their intake during summer weather?

This would be setup like a funnel right in the high pressure area at the front of the vehicle so that air entering the intake would be under some increased pressure relative to ambient air pressure.

Might need to have a small blow hole at a low spot in the tubing in order to get rid of rainwater. Should increase engine efficiency and mpg?

a new policy....I intend to ignore the nescient...a waste of time and energy.
ZugyNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 04:22 AM   #2
Registered Member

I don't see how it would increase efficiency, but ya can give it a shot if ya like.

omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 05:40 AM   #3
Registered Member

don't expect to much from the high pressure in front of the car, it only comes into play at very high speeds. at low speeds the ducting to the scoop might actually have an adverse effect.

if you want to take in air from outside you could also considder a naca intake.

lunarhighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 05:26 AM   #4
Registered Member

Here is an article on modifying the intake of a Honda Insight. They seem to have gotten good results using RAM-feed.
http://autospeed.com/cms/A_109217/article.html

No figures yet on FE-improvements though...
GasSavers_HAHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 05:40 AM   #5
Registered Member

Getting cool clean air in will help...even at lower speeds than 120mph...but the big benefit would be a WOT (added horsepower)...unless you have a diesel, then it would help almost all the time.
2002 Air Box Mod...Air Tabs (5) on Roof...(3)each behind rear windows
Partial Grill Block with Custom Air Scoop and 3" Open Catback Exhaust
Lambretta UNO150cc 4 Stroke Scooter

DarbyWalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 05:52 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAHA View Post
Here is an article on modifying the intake of a Honda Insight. They seem to have gotten good results using RAM-feed.
http://autospeed.com/cms/A_109217/article.html

No figures yet on FE-improvements though...
Good article. He does mention a slight gain with the first setup. The greater the square " of the opening...the greater the pressure gain. Still say a small hole at a low spot would help drain water during rain. And you wouldn't want the opening down too low for sure.

Old 11-19-2007, 06:09 AM   #7
Registered Member

I've done this with the Mazda 626 with no improvement in FE. I searched the experiments but could not find the results. I just ran a dryer heater hose to the front of the airdam from the airbox.

Zugy. I like your new policy but maybe it should be closed minded. There is a difference between them.
zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 05:32 PM   #8
Registered Member

No way, you can't drive a car that looks hot and act like you're getting good mpg at the same time, performance modifications need to be invisible for this reason and also reasons of profiling and aerodynamics.

Putting a scoop on a car is a ricer thing but it should serve a purpose beyond marring the finish such as supplying ram air to a turbocharger, but to put a scoop on a car because it's something to do means probably the only thing it will increase is the amount of police attention your vehicle attracts

Get a Mr. Gasket high performance filter, $25, plop it on the intake, there's all the extra air you need. New replacement air filters you mix and match until you find the one, they're about $4, when that time comes.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:14 AM   #9
Registered Member

We're talking about ram air. Would basically be placed in the grill where it would be more or less invisible.

Old 11-21-2007, 11:18 AM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpiloto View Post
Zugy. I like your new policy but maybe it should be closed minded. There is a difference between them.
http://thesaurus.reference.com/browse/ignorant

unknowing

Synonyms: apprenticed, benighted, bird-brained, blind to*, cretinous, dense, green*, illiterate, imbecilic, inexperienced, innocent, insensible, mindless, misinformed, moronic, naive, nescient, oblivious, obtuse, sappy, shallow, thick, unaware, unconscious, unconversant, uncultivated, uncultured, uneducated, unenlightened, uninformed, uninitiated, unintellectual, unknowledgeable, unlearned, unlettered, unmindful, unread, unschooled, unsuspecting, untaught, untrained, unwitting, witless