Amsoil 2 Cycle As Fuel Additive - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 12-18-2008, 04:49 AM   #21
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtieguy View Post
my reliable source seems to believe it may be the lube AND cleaning affect that synthetics are known for.

i THOUGHT i heard reported increases of 10%+, but it may have been in an unclean engine/injectors.
The most I've ever seen is about 2% with the Amsoil or any TC-W3 mix. However, there are many other long-term benefits, which I've well documented with over 30 years of trial and error.

10% would only be seen if the injectors were messed up and a good injector cleaning was done.

Old 12-19-2008, 09:13 PM   #22
Registered Member

I must have missed the type of engine in the original post and the purpose of the additive.

You can find gobs of info at the Amsoil Corporate website, including the additives, their use and performence.

You should find, as I have, that the products do what they are designed to do. But improper application will defeat the purpose of hypermiling and the other stuff you do.

623,000 miles on original engine and transmission, using Amsoil by-pass filters and lubrication.
+Everybody knows something you don't know.
+Artists prove truth can be in forms you don't understand.

Low-Risk Option Trader
Retired Pro-Hunter featured in; 'African Hunter', by James R. Mellon III. and listed in; Rowland Ward's Records of Big Game.
shatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 03:41 PM   #23
Registered Member

still doing this--no fouled plugs yet. i would compare this to using acetone--no ill affects due to the minute % in the tank.
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 06:48 PM   #24
Registered Member

Iv thrown some left over pre-mix into my car. Its not something I do all the time, but the stuff is made for combustion...
Old 06-18-2010, 09:54 PM   #25
Registered Member

true but is it made for injectors and fuel pumps?

also to the comment above about an owners manual saying to add stuff to the oil/gas my chevettes mentions using GM brand additives available at my dealer haha. i jut ran across that today.

ill snag a pic of it soon.
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 03:35 PM   #26
Registered Member

i bought a set of plugs, so i'll check the old ones for oil when the time comes. i don't see how 2oz to 5 gal could do harm. the bigger question is what are the affects ethanol and lack of lube?
Old 06-20-2010, 02:58 PM   #27
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slurp812 View Post
Iv thrown some left over pre-mix into my car. Its not something I do all the time, but the stuff is made for combustion...
if you opened the link in the opening post, you'll notice it is marine 2 stroke. i would think this would be much safer in regard to plugs, injectors, pumps, O2 sensors etc.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:55 AM   #28
Registered Member

I would skip this additive when it came time for emission inspection, though it might not be a problem; better safe than sorry (but acetone has been proven to improve emissions). I'm also curious how it would do in combination with acetone.

Has anyone tried, or read about, long term use and possible problems with the cat, or O2 sensors. I'd like to try this, but I don't want to put anything more than my plugs at risk.
Dr. Jerryrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:58 AM   #29
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Jerryrigger View Post

Has anyone tried, or read about, long term use and possible problems with the cat, or O2 sensors. I'd like to try this, but I don't want to put anything more than my plugs at risk.
I don't have any hard facts, but when it comes to the cat, in my opinion, I don't see how burning a few ounces of two cycle oil per tank would be any more harmful than burning a half quart of motor oil per oil change.

I have seen the inside of a few cats from old cars (over 200K miles), and even the ones that were smoking had clean white/light gray ceramic honeycombs. A properly working cat (one that gets enough oxygen and engine heat) gets so hot that anything organic is oxidized and blown on through.

I'm not saying I believe that 2 cycle oil will improve mpg, but I doubt that it the small amounts used would hurt the cat (and probably not the oxygen sensor either).

I agree with you that it probably wouldn't be a good idea to use it during an emissions inspection.
GasSavers_Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 02:12 PM   #30
Registered Member

an interesting view on fuel additives...http://www.e10gasadditives.com/addit...explained.html

it seems to endorse adding an "oil" to E10.

and for those of you that respect BITOG...http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...=889654&page=1