Anyone run straight coolant? - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > Experiments, Modifications and DIY
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2008, 02:25 PM   #21
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamesama980 View Post
any type of pump can cavitate if it's trying to draw more of any fluid than is available. Cavitation manifests itself in the LOW pressure part of the pump, not the high pressure side. the shortest way to say it is that the pump draws more fluid than can be supplied and the pressure on the intake side drops so low the liquid boils. the alternating water/air impacts can damage just about everything involved.

cylinder wall bubbling is a whole different animal
Thanks for clearing that up - I misunderstood him- I thought he was saying that his strong water pump was causing cavitation holes in his cylinder 1 and 2 liners. I didn't understand that he was saying that cavitation was destroying his water pump impeller- that makes a little more sense to me.

GasSavers_Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 04:41 PM   #22
Registered Member

Renew your knowledge of Bernoulli's Law.

High flow at constant flow area = high velocity

High velocity = low pressure

If local pressure drops below the boiling point of the liquid, the liquid boils. Bubbles erode metal. That is precisely what happens to some 7.3 liter IH engines.

Yes, I perfectly meant the cavitation eroded the cylinder walls, not the pump impellor.

For years, guys relied on a molybdate solution to suppress cavitation but this was a high-maintenance affair. With Evans NPG you dry out the cooling system (drain it and let a heat gun blow through the block to dry up the low spots). Fill 'er up with glycol and forget it.

4 inch suspension slam
Aero mods: "Fastback" fairing and rugged air dam and side skirts
Stock MPG: 19
Summer MPG: 27.0
Winter MPG: 24
Big Dave is offline   Reply With Quote