Automatic Downshift Cable Disconnect - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 10-20-2006, 01:10 PM   #11
Registered Member

Well, you saw not to do that, if you have ever had the kickdown break in the car you would have known this, had one come off and I feared transmission failure. Exactly the same as you described (Asin-Warner in a Volvo).

My favorite were the Mercedes with the electronic kick down button on the floor, no such problem.

I see your pic, Citroen C4 owner I assume? There are rumblings of PSA returning to the US, so maybe us here in the states will get a shot at one, or as a former Citroen owner, I can hope?

-Emil Faber
Spule 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 06:47 PM   #12
Registered Member

C4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spule 4
I see your pic, Citroen C4 owner I assume? There are rumblings of PSA returning to the US, so maybe us here in the states will get a shot at one, or as a former Citroen owner, I can hope?
Unfortunately, no -- not a C4 owner. If you click on the "Car I dream about" in the sig, you'll see the avatar: the C4 Hybride HDi (Diesel-Electric Hybrid). Only if...

There are so many European vehicles that could be modified to our emissions and safety levels, and perform as great economy or sub-compact cars.

RH77

Old 10-20-2006, 07:05 PM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh77
Unfortunately, no -- not a C4 owner. If you click on the "Car I dream about" in the sig, you'll see the avatar: the C4 Hybride HDi (Diesel-Electric Hybrid). Only if...

There are so many European vehicles that could be modified to our emissions and safety levels, and perform as great economy or sub-compact cars.

RH77
Ah, I assumed for some reason you were from the UK.

Not sure if PSA will do much with Hybrids, time will tell tho. The newest Citroen I have had the honor to drive was one of the last CX cars (Automatique), it would be neat to see what other improvements have been made over time between this and my GS I had years ago.

-Emil Faber
Spule 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 08:26 PM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
I haven't heard of that, but it makes sense.
Again, it will depends if one is available for your application. If your trans is at least based on one which is supported in the race community, you may be in luck.

Quote:
So TurboMinivan -- you race your van?
Yes, I do--it's been a hobby of mine for over six years now. I didn't really want to go into it and hijack this thread, so I was just sticking to the topic at hand. Perhaps I'll take your suggestion and post in the newbie forum.

The official ambassador of turbo minivan drag racing
GasSavers_TurboMinivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 03:50 PM   #15
Registered Member

Cool

You MUST NOT disconnect, or set a throttle valve (Kick-down) cable too loose. They govern the pressure supplied to the valve body that changes & holds gear ratios by engauging the clutch packs, and brakes inside the transmission.
Low fluid pressure will cause slipping and eventually distruction.
The faster, and harder an automatic transmission shifts, the longer it will last from less friction across the clutch & brake surfaces, and less temperature introducted into the fluid during the process when the transmission is allowed to slip (and/or) grab mroe than one gear at a time.
Most modern automatic tramissions with a soft take-off will engauge both first & second gears at the same time.

If you want to play, wire a switch based transmission gear controller, and a switch based torque convertor lock-up to control your transmissions solenoids.
Just be aware to introduce a by-pass for going back to stock ECU control. DO NOT leave the clutch engauged at lower gears, or when accellerating. And realize that you will get some amount of shift shock as all modern ECU's pull timing when they want to change gears to reduce shift shock. That means you not only won't get that advantage, you'll also get a minor power reduction any time the stock ECU feels that it is time for a gear change.

Toysrme is offline   Reply With Quote