Automatic Downshift Cable Disconnect - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 10-05-2006, 05:16 AM   #1
Registered Member

Automatic Downshift Cable Disconnect

After poking around under the hood looking at the emissions system, I came across the transmission kick-down cable (which I thought was electronically controlled intead of hooked to the throttle body).

The mod: remove the cable attachment to the throttle body.

If I'm willing to "whip it into shape" via the gear selector when things get urgent, are there any downsides?

Recently quoted by someone: "An engine is most efficient at 2/3 throttle at high load between 2000-3000 RPM." I've found that's is hard and sometimes impossible with that darn kickdown.

A concern: Wondering if the TC is involved in the cable position, or if it's based on load.

Is it worth giving a try?

RH77

Edited: Forgot to mention the mod, duh and grammar

Old 10-05-2006, 06:45 AM   #2

Is this on the Integra or TSX? What is a TC?

I think you'll be fine removing the kick-down cable.

GasSavers_DaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 06:52 AM   #3
Registered Member

I'd try it if it were mine.

One concern - are you the only one who drives this car? Is there a potential safety concern if someone else drives it and it doesn't kick down when expected/needed?
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 06:58 AM   #4
*shrug*

I had mine off for many months, it didnt change anything for me because it shifted at the lowest point already from my driving, so yeah. I'd take it off the throttle body and try it out for a bit, it only takes a few seconds.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 07:04 AM   #5
Registered Member

It's ALIVE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
I had mine off for many months, it didnt change anything for me because it shifted at the lowest point already from my driving, so yeah. I'd take it off the throttle body and try it out for a bit, it only takes a few seconds.
Hey he returns! Ben, I may try it today if it's easy to D/C.

Dax: It's on the 'Teg -- The TSX is throttle by wire, so it's all 'lectro

Metro: I'm the only driver 99% of the time - but a warning will be given or re-connect it quickly (if possible).

RH77
Heading out to the Garage

EDIT: Dax, the TC is the Torque Converter
Old 10-05-2006, 02:33 PM   #6
Registered Member

That sucked

Well, that certainly sucked.

The cable evidently has more to do with the transmission than just a request to downshift.

Basically it acted like someone learning to drive a stick-shift: turn a corner and give it some throttle (or get on the highway), it downshifts but engine revs to redline and it's like someone is slowly letting the clutch out while going into gear -- accompanied by that burnt clutch smell.

Also, the TC didn't seem to engage fully at highway speeds. To prevent any further wear, I got off of the highway and hooked it back up. The TCU must intervene with with the "TPS reports".

So now, what would happen if it's extended the whole way? I hypothesize that the transmission would be quicker to kick-down and shift harder thinking that it's in open-loop -- or maybe not at all.

RH77
Old 10-05-2006, 03:34 PM   #7
Registered Member

the kickdown cable might also control the line pressure in the tranny. I know on the 5.0 mustang if you tried to disconnect it the tranny would think you was at w.o.t and wouldn't shift till 5,000 rpm's.

LxMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 06:26 PM   #8
Registered Member

TH400 and Quadrajet

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher
It's probably not like the "kickdown" cables of old.

On old GM TH350s and such the kickdown cable had one function and one function only: downshift at WOT.

Tempo a/ts have what is known as a throttle valve control linkage and I know for a fact the thing is darn sensitive to proper adjustment. It activates internal valving in the trans which regulates the transaxle's control pressure, which in turn affects the shifting characteristics.
Nice post Clench. You also updated the garage with the Lambo!

My '77 Olds had the Turbo-Hydromatic 400 that kicked-down at like 50-75% throttle via linkage. I was always fooling with than darn Quadra"junk" carb to get it to stay running on cold starts -- the Winter sucked -- sometimes it would take 5-10 minutes of careful idling and throttle input or else it would stall when put in gear. When the weather changed, so did the set screws. Some weekends, I'd fool with it for hours -- good learning experience. Otherwise, great first car. Rollin' couch.

RH77
Old 10-19-2006, 09:29 PM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh77
The mod: remove the cable attachment to the throttle body.
As another choice, you could check to see if anybody makes a manual valve body for your transmission. While this would eliminate any automatic gear selection ability, it would certainly ensure the thing stays in whatever gear you want it to. Just a thought.

I've got a reverse-pattern MVB in my minivan and I love it.

The official ambassador of turbo minivan drag racing
GasSavers_TurboMinivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 03:18 AM   #10
Registered Member

Good idea, and Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboMinivan
As another choice, you could check to see if anybody makes a manual valve body for your transmission. While this would eliminate any automatic gear selection ability, it would certainly ensure the thing stays in whatever gear you want it to. Just a thought.

I've got a reverse-pattern MVB in my minivan and I love it.
I haven't heard of that, but it makes sense. The gear selector is pre-programmed to hold 1st and 2nd gears, regardless of speed or RPM -- but "D3" and D4" puts the whole works in the hands of the Tranmission Control Unit computer. I can generally hold the gear if I don't go above 42% throttle, otherwise it's kickdown-city. What's also frustrating is that is has "hill logic control" where it won't upshift while going up an incline unless the revs are 3K or higher.

So TurboMinivan -- you race your van? I used to have an '88 Voyager with the Mitsu 3.0L V-6, but always wanted the turbo.

Also, Welcome! If you like, post in the "Introduce Yourself" forum about your Minivan Racing Ambassadorship

RH77