Belly Pan Installation, Honda Del Sol - Page 4 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 04-02-2006, 09:01 AM   #31
Registered Member

Yes, it well melt. Keep

Yes, it well melt. Keep away from exhaust. It is very difficult to rip. Even if you start a cut with a boxcutter it is almost impossible to get it to rip. It is fairly rigid in one direction but bends easier in the other, same as cardboard.

krousdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 09:02 AM   #32
*shrug*

Quote:a couple of

Quote:
a couple of questions...

1. If coroplast touches the exaust components will it melt?
Yes
Quote:
2. Does Coroplast rip easy?
No
Quote:
3. Does it bend easy?
Depends on which way you are bending it, yes and no, but it's not an issue from what I've worked with.

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 09:18 AM   #33
Registered Member

great. I just have to get a

great. I just have to get a small piece and finish up 3 more areas and my underbody will be complete.

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 09:33 AM   #34
Registered Member

not only will coroplast

not only will coroplast melt, it can catch fire in contact with hot metal.

this link tells exciting adventure of an EV owner whose coroplast belly pan caught fire when a small, hot piece of metal fell onto it after his controller failed. (this link is a repost from another thread here...)

entitled: "hey man, your car is on fire!"...

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/ev-list-archive/message/57739?viscount=100

so that's why i'm using cardboard.

(just kidding. about WHY i'm using the cardboard, that is)

one thing i've been thinking about is applying some aluminum tape on the edges of the plastic near the exhaust system cutout.

i'm also considering enclosing the exhaust from the middle to the back of the car, in which case i'll be making a combination coroplast/aluminum undertray.
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 12:47 PM   #35
Registered Member

Yes, I tried to catch it on

Yes, I tried to catch it on fire before I installed it. After holding a flame to it for about 7 seconds, it finally caught. If you let it go without a draft, it will continue to burn slowly, but not like wildfire. It quite easy to blow out, easier than paper or a rag on fire.

For those who are concerned, coroplast is available in a fireproof formulation. But I imagine that it would very difficult to find. You might have to buy a large qty.

Old 04-02-2006, 04:18 PM   #36
Registered Member

last time I checked metal

last time I checked metal won't catch on fire from hot exaust components. I actually wanted to put the coroplast near exaust components, but that won't be happening now.

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 04:39 AM   #37
Registered Member

New personal best on the

New personal best on the drive to work this morning. Things that have changed are the new belly pan, new side gapped spark plugs, 50 lb weight reduction (I will be putting the seat back in though).

Previous best trip was the "more highway miles route" which is now my preferred route, 50F Dry, 6 MPH headwind, 60.60 MPG.

Today, same route, 54F Wet roads, 10 MPG headwind, 62.75 MPG!

Woot!

I'm guessing that the plugs and weight reduction had a minimal effect. Probably all belly pan aero drag reduction. On dry roads it would have been even better. Also, much less road noise.

Current tank, 130 miles, 62.0 MPG. The 72 MPG 10 mile trip around the park yesterday gave me a nice boost.

Old 04-03-2006, 05:08 AM   #38
Driving on E

Re: New personal best on the

Quote:
Originally Posted by krousdb
New personal best on the drive to work this morning. Things that have changed are the new belly pan, new side gapped spark plugs, 50 lb weight reduction (I will be putting the seat back in though).

Previous best trip was the "more highway miles route" which is now my preferred route, 50F Dry, 6 MPH headwind, 60.60 MPG.

Today, same route, 54F Wet roads, 10 MPG headwind, 62.75 MPG!

Woot!

I'm guessing that the plugs and weight reduction had a minimal effect. Probably all belly pan aero drag reduction. On dry roads it would have been even better. Also, much less road noise.

Current tank, 130 miles, 62.0 MPG. The 72 MPG 10 mile trip around the park yesterday gave me a nice boost.
This is amazing. I'm taking my mudflaps off today to help with drag, and I'm going to get some material for an eventual belly pan soon. you're my inspiration
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 05:23 AM   #39
Registered Member

Just a note about the wind.

Just a note about the wind. Since I am on the highway with cars passing by, I am benefitting from all the air that is being displaced by the other vehicles which my ASI shows - 10 to 20MPH compared to the speedo. So I really never have a headwind as long as others are driving faster. My speed on that stretch is 45-55 MPH. What did have a detrimental effect on rolling resistance was the wet roads. All I need is a dry day with temps in the 60's and I should be good for 65MPG.

I am glad that I am inspiring others. That is the whole point in sharing techniques and experiences with others via gassavers. I know that SVOboy is working diligently to get the CX tranny. That is the only thing that stands between me and 70 MPG.

Oh, and another note. Last fall in similar temps and on the exact same route, I was seeing 67-70MPG in the Prius.

Old 04-04-2006, 06:40 AM   #40
Registered Member

so.... how'd you do on your

so.... how'd you do on your commute this AM?

MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote