Car as vacuum source for vacuum forming? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 04-11-2009, 02:53 PM   #1
Registered Member

Car as vacuum source for vacuum forming?

I once had someone suggest using my car as a vacuum source for a home made vacuum forming machine. Realistically, I'd only use it for large pieces, requiring high volume flow. Use an electric pump (maybe a venturi system) otherwise. Can anyone see any downsides to this idea? If not, any advice on a good way to tap into the vacuum system? Alternately I might just add a tank as a buffer. Charge it up for a big part. Also wondered if a hybrid system might be a good idea: shop vac to get most of the air out and then a smaller flow vacuum pump to get the rest. Thanks for any info/ideas.

Main Entry: co de pen dence - see codependency
co de pen den cy
Pronunciation: \kō-di-ˈpen-dən(t)-sē\
Function: noun
Date: 1979

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
GasSavers_maximilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 03:15 PM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
If you're going to do your own vacuum-forming, you should be able to fabricate that trash can you wanted...

Old 04-11-2009, 03:51 PM   #3
Registered Member

That is precisely what got me thinking about it!

A more immediate way would be for me to find a plastic bin that just fits inside the glove compartment and then hit it with a heat gun.

co de pen den cy

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
Old 04-11-2009, 04:09 PM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
I recommend hitting it with a mallet. Use the heat gun to blow hot air on it...hitting it with the heat gun could break the heat gun.

Edit: More seriously, if you must hit it, hit it with a beanbag I'd assume.
Old 04-11-2009, 04:21 PM   #5
Registered Member

Somebody hit you with the silly stick today? First the kittah mechanic...

co de pen den cy

Old 04-11-2009, 05:24 PM   #6
Site Team / Moderator

2 problems I see...

1. I don't think an engine will produce sufficient vacuum pressure to properly form the plastic

2. I don't think it will move enough volume of air fast enough before the plastic cools.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 06:29 PM   #7
Registered Member

Also the car's computer might see it as a vacuum leak and throw a code at ya.

Jetta90GL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 02:45 AM   #8
Registered Member

Well, I guess it would be possible to use intake vacuum, how much time do you have before things start to set?

I used an old refridgerator compressor to make parts for my little toy trains, it did ok, but was kinda slow (low volume).

Is there any way you could keep the plastic hot while "vacuuming"?? just to give you more time?
rust collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:13 AM   #9
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
A car AC compressor would make a great vacuum pump. Get it connected to a 5hp engine revved up high and let her rip. If you don't use AC you could tap your cars ac compressor.
Old 04-13-2009, 12:29 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rust collector View Post
Is there any way you could keep the plastic hot while "vacuuming"?? just to give you more time?
That's definitely a possibility. Putting the lamps over it while still allowing easy access involves some design work, but nothing impossible. I'm trying to narrow down my choices a bit before going any further. It's warm enough to consider some projects finally.

co de pen den cy