Crazy Crazy Coroplast. DIY interior and Grille Block - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > Experiments, Modifications and DIY
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2006, 10:34 AM   #11
Registered Member

Yesterday on the drive home

Yesterday on the drive home it was 72F. I had the old grille block with no hole. The temp gauge was where it always is, at 1/2. When I got home I did notice my radiator fan running as I coasted into my garage. It shut off after about 30 seconds.

I will keep a lookout to see if the gauge changes. I guess if I see steam then I know that I need a bigger hole.

krousdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 10:36 AM   #12
*shrug*

Ah, you're a little bit

Ah, you're a little bit scary sometimes, I hope you know that.

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 11:09 AM   #13
Registered Member

Very Nice

Very nicely done Dan! Do you have a Dremel Tool to round out the air dam mod?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVO
Check out the engine temps for us when you go running around then!
I think there's an air intake that blows air up under the bumper to cool the rad, unless it's been blocked.

-RH77
Old 04-08-2006, 11:12 AM   #14
Registered Member

Re: Ah, you're a little bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
That's not the first time someone has told me that. I just ask myself, what's the worst that could happen? In this case, steam starts shooting out from my hood, I pull off to the side of the road and open the hood. After a few minutes things cool down while I cut a larger hole into the grille block. No biggie.

If I manage to crack a head or block, then I get the car towed home and call SVOboy to bring me a free D15Z1 and install it for me (assuming we can figure out what to do with the extra O2 wire and the egr valve). In the mean time I drive the Outback and pay twice as much for gas.

What did I miss?

Old 04-08-2006, 11:14 AM   #15
Registered Member

Re: Very Nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh77
I think there's an air intake that blows air up under the bumper to cool the rad, unless it's been blocked.

-RH77
My engine compartment is nearly hermetically sealed. There is only the space around the exhaust pipe / cat for air to move.

Old 04-08-2006, 11:19 AM   #16
Registered Member

Re: Ah, you're a little bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by krousdb
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
That's not the first time someone has told me that. I just ask myself, what's the worst that could happen? In this case, steam starts shooting out from my hood, I pull off to the side of the road and open the hood. After a few minutes things cool down while I cut a larger hole into the grille block. No biggie.

If I manage to crack a head or block, then I get the car towed home and call SVOboy to bring me a free D15Z1 and install it for me (assuming we can figure out what to do with the extra O2 wire and the egr valve). In the mean time I drive the Outback and pay twice as much for gas.

What did I miss?
Welp, just keep an eye on the guage, if it goes above half on Hondas, then you're heading into some higher range territory. I still have the baffle over the rad, and in the 80-deg weather with the A/C on, the fan ran, but the gauge didn't budge. I think you'll be OK unless you get up to 75%, then shut 'er down and run the heater on full-blast when you get going again. A cracked block would take quite the heat...

RH77
Old 04-08-2006, 11:20 AM   #17
*shrug*

Very very interesting,

Very very interesting, senior. Very very.

I still need to pick up the one d15b8, but I won't this weekend because of rain. I'll shoot for easter weekend, but I'll be calling him today. Jared and I are both looking for more engines for me, , I dibs the first z1 to be found though.

Jared already has a free d15b7 lined up for me,
Old 04-08-2006, 11:43 AM   #18
Registered Member

Re: Very Nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by krousdb
My engine compartment is nearly hermetically sealed. There is only the space around the exhaust pipe / cat for air to move.
I love the "hermetically" sealed verbiage. It sounds like a coffee pot :-) Well then, be cautious of the battery as extreme heat tends to kill them quickly (especially if you have a PA-spec, high cold cranking-amps batt.) Well then geez! Where does the heat go? Can you put a temp gauge (like a cheapo Radio Shack outdoor thermometer with a cord and sensor on the end). The excess heat has me concerned (i.e. oil temps, etc.) But, I guess Honda's don't really generate gobs of heat anyways, especially your engine.

RH77
Old 04-08-2006, 12:11 PM   #19
Registered Member

very impressed, you can't

very impressed, you can't even tell that its blocked.

DOesn't your SUPERMID report temps? I'm sure you can keep an eye on that and don't have to worrya bout any overheating.

With the way Dan drives, I doubt he'll never have to worry about it. If all else fails use some HOT HEAT to relief the radiator a bit.
Old 04-08-2006, 12:12 PM   #20
*shrug*

Oh **** dan, I should've

Oh **** dan, I should've mentioned this, but we should be able to datalog ECT temps with our ecus,