crazy thoughts - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 10-29-2008, 09:41 PM   #1
Registered Member

crazy thoughts

well one idea is to have some kind of container next to the exhoust pipe containing used oil. the plan is that the oil heats up and turns into vapors then have it via a tube go straight into the intake to help reducing the cars need to use gasoline so you will save money. it may sound crazy but think about it.

another idea is and i imagine this has been discused but to hoke up a turbine to a elictric motor at the exhoust pipe to help out the alternator or to a hho system netting free hho.

sorry if i dint explain myself well but i hope you guys can help.

Mark_alot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 12:06 AM   #2

I like the idea of using exhaust gases as a turbine. It works for forced induction, why not put an alternator on there instead? Geared properly of course, as 120,000rpms is ...excessive for power generators.

The other idea I'm not so sure about. Burning oil only increases hydrocarbons in the exhaust, as well as gumming up the works. current engines don't burn oil too well. I think your other idea is more practical, and forward thinking.

almightybmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 03:15 AM   #3
Site Team / Moderator

Why not just get a diesel, and strain your old oil. Add 1 Qt used oil to each tank of diesel. It should make your injectors happy, especially if you're running synthetic oil.

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 03:25 AM   #4
Registered Member

the idea of using the exhaust to turn an alternator has already been thought of, its called a turboalternator the idea is you use waste energy to turn a turbine which then turns the alternator. and yea its a great idea, forget making HHO you could go electric for all accessories in the car and then remove all the belts!!

this removes a great deal of rotational mass from the engine and the electric parts could be lighter as well.

now the drawbacks...it hasn't been done yet because of material limitations. turbochargers take a lot of heat and spin very very fast. no alternator could put up with that or more importantly the bearings in the alternator. my gut feeling is that it is very possible, just not yet a cost efficient thing.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:29 AM   #5
Site Team / Moderator

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero_gravity View Post
forget making HHO you could go electric for all accessories in the car and then remove all the belts!!
You still need the water pump...

Old 10-30-2008, 04:41 AM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
There's better, more efficient ways to burn used motor oil than in a gasoline engine. One example is Jay's suggestion of a diesel engine; another is to use it in a furnace or water heater, such as the types that use home heating oil. There are instructions for a DIY waste oil burner.

Hey, come to think of it, what would happen if I dump my used motor oil into my home heating oil tank? It can't be any dirtier, nastier, and more full of impurities than the garbage that is sold as standard #2 home heating oil.

The kinetic energy in the moving exhaust gas is not free or wasted energy. If you push back on it and make it do work, the pistons will just have to work harder to push it out the exhaust valves. As I've learned here, Exhaust Gas Velocity (EGV) has a large effect on torque, and an exhaust turbine would mess that up.
Old 10-30-2008, 04:54 AM   #7
Site Team / Moderator

I'd pour used motor oil or tranny fluid (strained through filter paper first) into a home heating oil tank or a diesel fuel tank without even thinking twice about it.

-Jay

Old 10-30-2008, 05:24 AM   #8
Registered Member

I need to get round to making an oil burner for the workshop, I've got about 20 jugs worth of saved oil changes...
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 05:33 AM   #9
Registered Member

Thinking about the oil recycling on a gasoline motor idea, I'd try it by bubbling the EGR through it. The exhaust will be hotter there, and should have "live" steam in it that should be hot enough to hydrocrack the oil somewhat. Probably it would be a good plan to have a catalytic metal involved also, like stuff a jar with copper coated BBs or copper pan scrubbers, fill with used oil, bubble EGR gases through it.
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 06:27 AM   #10
Registered Member

well im not just talking about used motor oil what about cooking oil i know that cooking oil in the form of a gas or even small tiny droplets burns very fast. we could also run a radiator line trough the container to heat it up.

and instead of using a turbo why not just put some kind of fan at the tail pipe it may not look impressive, maybe a little fan inside the pipe with a little pulley system going for it to turn an electric motor. or a small computer fan the ones that go on your processor at the tail pipe.

Mark_alot is offline   Reply With Quote