Data to collect? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 04-15-2009, 04:39 AM   #11
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Based on what I saw at that link, it looks like you're expected to tap the wire that goes from that sensor to the ECU rather than query it from the ECU via OBDII. You get the same data that the ECU gets, rather than have the ECU tell you. You're using the existing sensor, you're just using its raw signal rather than the data the ECU provides.

So, for the IAT, you'd find the wire coming out of the intake snorkel and tap it to run to that module.

Old 04-15-2009, 07:49 AM   #12
Registered Member

the way I saw it (and it may be wrong) it asks you if you want to include the AIT sensor. I am not farmiliar with that terminology but if you look at the box, it has a thermocouple plug on it that says K-TYPE T.C. the TC plug is standard for most K-types of thermocouples. I think yellow is for K and blue is for T and it is polarized. one lead is wider than the other.

it just hit me. the IAT sensor in most cars isn't a thermocouple at all. it is a variable resistor. a theromocouple actually gives off a voltage (be it small and able to handle almost no current draw) and that voltage varies by temperature. the IAT, being just a resistor, can be replaced with a resistor. this was a trick that some people used for a power increase. you would put a large resistor either inline with the sensor or to relace it completely. this would make the engine think that the air was colder. it didn't matter during regular driving but during WOT, you go into open loop and it ignores the oxy sensor.

wow, I just flashed back a couple of years on that one.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote