Disconnected the fan, is this running too hot? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > Experiments, Modifications and DIY
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 03-23-2008, 09:34 PM   #1
Registered Member

Disconnected the fan, is this running too hot?

Trying to run hotter because you guys said its good for FE and I believe you guys =). I want to hit 40 mpg, I been close a few times.

I disconnected the fan and it was doing great on my regular commute to work. My job is mostly freeway then 3 stop lights. Temp went a little higher then normal but nothing scary. So I was thinking of taking it off compeletly to save some weight since my Metro is like 55 horsepower and I got rid of a good 80 pounds already.

Anyway, today I was just running some errands and it was 80 degrees. Things were looking normal even stop light to stop light until I hit a long light. Then it got this hot.

Is that too hot? Im having second thoughts about ditching the fan now.

When I got on the freeway the temperature went down to normal in under a minute. When I dont get lights more then 1 minute long its not too much hotter.

I do have a WRX style scoop in the mail and Im going to make it functional so once I have that in I'll see if it lets enough heat out in heavy traffic. If not then I guess the fan has to stay.

Derailing my own topic for a second. I've seen big improvement in MPG replacing the distributor cap,spark plug wires and spark plugs. I think everything on this car is original and I was wondering how much my o2 sensor,fuel filter and pcv valve is holding me back. Also if you have a metro where the heck is the PCV valve and fuel filter?

1998 Buick Regal GS

1999 Chevrolet C2500

1998 Corvette
Three6Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 02:21 AM   #2
Registered Member

It's my belief that every time you see that kind of temp your head gasket loses some life...not to mention the cyl head. Not running the fan is a high risk move.

Most FWD cars seldom have the fan come on except in traffic on a hot day?

2 things you could do?

* add a fan indicator light so you know WHEN and IF the fan actually runs. Find the wire that feeds the fan when it runs...tap into it going to a bulb or LED and then to a ground. Presto...a fan indicator light.

If it only runs in traffic...then it can't be hurting your mpg much?

* the other thing would be to replace the fan switch either with an OEM switch or an aftermarket adjustable one.

a new policy....I intend to ignore the nescient...a waste of time and energy.
ZugyNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 04:33 AM   #3
Registered Member

I'd be nervous- I agree with Zugy- use an adjustable fan control.

Where does the temp run when the fan is connected? 1/2 up on the gauge? 1/3?
GasSavers_Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 05:28 AM   #4
Supporting Member

You want it to run good and warm but not that hot. I'd say at the temp the ECU will pull timing and richen up the mixture to compensate. On my saturn 200f and after the ECU starts adjusting and mpg will decrease. On my brothers altima it would tolerate 210f.

https://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...emysan/saturn/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"for best mileage swap in a d15z1"
lovemysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 10:47 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
I'd be nervous- I agree with Zugy- use an adjustable fan control.

Where does the temp run when the fan is connected? 1/2 up on the gauge? 1/3?

Yeah the needle gets about half way with the fan connected. With the fan disconnected and consistant stop lights it gets a little more then half. It only got this hot when I got a really long light but when I get moving again it goes down fast.

Is there a way to wire a fan with a simple swith? Kid of like those fog light switch harness kits?

1998 Buick Regal GS

1999 Chevrolet C2500

1998 Corvette
Old 03-24-2008, 12:26 PM   #6
Registered Member

I got a simple kit from Autozone for $19 and have been using it for 7 years now. I advise adding an inline fuse. I used a relay, but your fan is probably small enough that you do not need one.
flapdoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 12:50 PM   #7
Registered Member

The gauge in the cluster is pretty much an idiot gauge, they design them to not moove much as to not scare the average driver into taking it into the shop for no reason. I would suggest putting the fan back in ASAP!!!!!

Get a scan gauge to see what it is really running temp wise.
Old 03-24-2008, 06:13 PM   #8
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to kamesama980 Send a message via Yahoo to kamesama980
agreed with ^^ if the gauge clusters reading high, chances are your engine's REALLY toasty.

the factory e-fans are on a thermostat controlled switch and should only come on when they're needed... which is exactly when you don't want them to be disconnected.

You'd be better off getting an aftermarket e-fan controller and setting it to turn on at a higher temperature than risk overheating because they were unplugged or you didn't notice the gauge in time
mechanic, carpenter, stagehand, rigger, and know-it-all smartass
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
kamesama980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 06:46 PM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three6Eight View Post
It only got this hot when I got a really long light but when I get moving again it goes down fast.

I'm wondering . . . are you shutting the engine off at those really long lights? Seems like that would solve the problem. . .but I have to agree with everybody else, ditching the fan is probably a bad idea. . .
Old 03-24-2008, 09:28 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drag Limited View Post
The gauge in the cluster is pretty much an idiot gauge, they design them to not moove much as to not scare the average driver into taking it into the shop for no reason. I would suggest putting the fan back in ASAP!!!!!

Get a scan gauge to see what it is really running temp wise.
I never removed it, just unplugged it

Cant get a scan gauge my car is a 94. Thankfully my engine isnt toast and I didnt do permaneant damage (I think)

Im going to install a switch for it instead.

Today was like 60 degrees and I idled it for 10 minutes when I got home with the fan disconnected and the temp gauge hardly moved so I guess the problem is when its 80 degrees or hotter out side.

1998 Buick Regal GS

1999 Chevrolet C2500

1998 Corvette