DIY built-in kneepads - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 03-26-2009, 03:54 PM   #11
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Step 1: Patch the pants on the inside.
Step 2: Feather the edges of the hole.
Step 3: Apply plasti-dip.
Step 4: Hope nobody notices.

Old 03-27-2009, 05:11 AM   #12

Silicone was mentioned above. Perhaps a tube of silicone caulk, liberally (if you'll pardon the expression) applied to the knee area, worked in a bit, and then worked to an application of around 1/8". Perhaps simply smeared into the cloth and scraped mosted off...

A bit extreme, but cushiony and waterproof.

Mayhim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 05:43 AM   #13
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
Hmm, since I wear shorts in the summer but still do crouch down on my knees a lot, I might just spray some Plasti-Dip right on my knee caps.

Or maybe I should finish my coffee and start thinking straight?

That would take care of the hair on my knees eh?

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 05:55 AM   #14
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
There are liquid-applied glove products, I think. Remember peeling Elmer's white glue off your hands? Same concept. I remember reading about it but the closest I can find with a quick google is this:
http://www.femail.com.au/hand-shield-liquid-gloves.htm
Old 03-27-2009, 06:00 AM   #15
Registered Member

There was a pair of sandals that had no straps. You held it on with adhesive.

Main Entry: co de pen dence - see codependency
co de pen den cy
Pronunciation: \kō-di-ˈpen-dən(t)-sē\
Function: noun
Date: 1979

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
GasSavers_maximilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 07:59 AM   #16
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximilian View Post
There was a pair of sandals that had no straps. You held it on with adhesive.
That makes me think of Maxi-pads, and then Maxi-pad slippers:

I could just put some Maxi-pads on my knees!

Quote:
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
Old 03-28-2009, 03:54 AM   #17
Registered Member

You win the award for free association!

co de pen den cy

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
Old 03-28-2009, 07:17 AM   #18
Registered Member

Thanks. My mind works in weird ways, lol. I am the king of random facts and knowledge around my Family/Friends.

Quote:
Old 04-17-2009, 12:34 PM   #19
Registered Member

Fly in the ointmoint...these things are hot! I got the pants in October and while the pads are great in fall and winter they trap too much heat in, especially if you're sitting down (in a car on a multi hour trip, for example...guess how I know?). I only filled the entire front from knee to below the pockets to keep the pad from shifting, so I can remove them and sew it (by hand, alas) shut above the knee area only. Then it should be fine.

On the upside, I finally remembered to get that Plasti-Dip stuff. I'll test it on a scrap bit of fabric before applying it to the knees of my work pants. Curious to see if it's as flexible as those rubber dipped gloves. Oh yeah, should've gotten a couple disposable brushes. At least those I can get locally.

co de pen den cy

Old 04-20-2009, 10:00 AM   #20
Registered Member

OK, I'm applying the plasti-dip to the knees. Considered a curved template, but then looked at how much the fabric on the knees rumples when bending anyway and gave up on making it pretty and just masked off a rectangle. The double front fabric forms three sides anyway.

A useful trick for oil based substances is to just put the brush into a can of water between coats. Saves cleaning in between. Just shake the excess water off before you use it again. I've used that trick for a week at a time, but you have to be careful the water doesn't evaporate.

co de pen den cy