Electrorheology Leads to Efficient Combustion - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 10-04-2008, 08:09 AM   #1
Registered Member

Electrorheology Leads to Efficient Combustion

Abstract:

Improving engine efficiency and reducing pollutant emissions are extremely important. Here, we report our fuel injection technology based on the new physics principle that proper application of electrorheology can reduce the viscosity of petroleum fuels. A small device is thus introduced just before the fuel injection for the engine, producing a strong electric field to reduce the fuel viscosity, resulting in much smaller fuel droplets in atomization. Because combustion starts at the droplet surface, smaller droplets lead to cleaner and more efficient combustion. Both laboratory tests and road tests confirm our theory and indicate that such a device improves fuel mileage significantly. The technology is expected to have broad applications, applicable to current internal combustion engines and future engines as well.

Full text here:
http://pubs.acs.org/cgi-bin/sample.c...ef8004898.html

flapdoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 08:39 AM   #2
Registered Member

Thanks for sharing flapdoodle- A 5.5% improvement in diesel engine efficiency- not bad at all...

From the article-
3. Test Results

Because the spray experiment suggests that diesel engines would significantly benefit from our device, we conducted extensive tests with our device on diesel engines. The first engine test was conducted by Cornaglia Iveco, a diesel engine manufacturer in Italy (Figure 6a). The tests measured the fuel consumption rate and the power output at a constant rpm. The results in Table 1 are averaged over measurements for 1 week, with an error bar of 2%. At 1900 rpm, the original brake-specific fuel consumption (BSFC) was 220.1 g kW−1 h−1; with our device, it was reduced to 208.7 g kW−1 h−1. Because diesel fuel has a heating value of 0.119 531 kW h g−1, the engine efficiency was increased from 38.0 to 40.1% (a 5.5% improvement with our device). It is interesting to note that when the applied electric field direction was parallel to the fuel flow direction, the device still improved the BSFC by 4.7%, which is 0.8% lower than that in the case when the electric field direction was opposite the fuel flow direction. This could be due to some electrons attaching to the fuel droplets, which further reduced the droplet size, when the electric field direction is opposite the fuel flow direction.

GasSavers_Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 08:41 AM   #3
Registered Member

I find the most revealing part of the paper to be the first line of the acknowledgments: This work was supported in part by RAND and STWA.

Look up STWA and you'll see they sell snake-oil products like the "MAGChargR".

And even in their own graphs they claim only a tiny change in gasoline droplet size.
Old 10-04-2008, 11:02 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Look up STWA and you'll see they sell snake-oil products like the "MAGChargR".
Thanks for pointing that out. I was suspicious about the claim it works with gasoline, but no figures.

However, from the photos it shows the device does not have to be super close to the injectors. Perhaps a home-brew could be fashioned using the guts from a 12v fluorescent lamp.
flapdoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 12:52 PM   #5
Registered Member

I wonder how many engines any engine manufacturer could sell if their engine got twice the mileage of comparable engines.

I am curious if anybody would buy any vehicle that got vastly better mileage, everything else being the same.

I also wonder why the engine manufacturers and vehicle makers are too stupid to read threads like this and get ahold of the technology for themselves.

I don't understand why the aftermarket performence industry hasn't snapped up this technology.

Guess I'm just full of questions.....
623,000 miles on original engine and transmission, using Amsoil by-pass filters and lubrication.
+Everybody knows something you don't know.
+Artists prove truth can be in forms you don't understand.

Low-Risk Option Trader
Retired Pro-Hunter featured in; 'African Hunter', by James R. Mellon III. and listed in; Rowland Ward's Records of Big Game.
shatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 01:45 AM   #6
Registered Member

Here you go....

http://greenmachine.shopeverest.com/...ct_list&c=1472

a new policy....I intend to ignore the nescient...a waste of time and energy.
ZugyNA is offline   Reply With Quote