Ethanol Free Gas Found At Last!!! - Page 6 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > Experiments, Modifications and DIY
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 08-22-2009, 07:34 PM   #51
Registered Member

an update...

just finished my first tank of ethanol free gas unadultered. the previous 2 tanks, which i did not log, were either not all of my driving or had excessive amounts of idling and spirited driving as i tried to resolve my performance issues. both tanks were sub 40s.

achieved ~42MPG, which not remarkable nor a record but a couple things: i still have a slight miss and i'm not performing EOC during testing.

i had to buy E10 today because apparently the station closes early on sat, and i'm certain they are closed sun. so, if this tank drops significantly, well...

at this moment i'd have to report that E10's negative affect on FE is inconclusive.

bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 11:26 AM   #52
Registered Member

I wonder how much of this is just in the mind?
My friend insists his Camry runs worse on E10, but the few times I've been in it nothing seems noticable from the passenger seat.

trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 12:14 PM   #53
Registered Member

Blind or double blind test needed.

F150:
New EPA12/14/17

theclencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 12:46 PM   #54
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trollbait View Post
I wonder how much of this is just in the mind?
My friend insists his Camry runs worse on E10, but the few times I've been in it nothing seems noticable from the passenger seat.
i believe i am the perfect candidate for testing. my driving is VERY consistant, including route, weather, and miles. my miles consist of ~95% commuting the same exact route everday w/ the rest being the same errands around town.

unless otherwise noted, we take my wife's car on non-commuting trips. the weather here in central florida is very predictable, so there isn't much of a variance there.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:36 AM   #55
Registered Member

filled up today. the last 2 tanks were VERY similar in regard to miles driven, total miles, weather, route, etc. basically typical driving for me over the course of a tank(s).

results of E10...359.4 miles@8.426gal for 42.6 MPG
results of non-E10...352.2miles@8.367gal for 42.09 MPG

so, the E10 fill yielded MORE MPG, but some margin of error/variable is to be accounted for. today's fill will be the last non-E10 fill unless some dramatic mileage occurs.

why am i giving up so soon? well, i've had some fills of non-E10 when i was having performance issues that i did not log. E10 was also used at that time for similar(inconclusive) results as well. but also, the price of the gas is higher, not to mention i do not get the convenience and cash back rewards of my gas card(the station only accepts cash).

my next item to do is to check this gas for ethanol content to verify(or not) that it is free of the stuff. BTW, my total miles are down compared to my history because i used to fill exactly 1 gal beyond the first click. i suspended this practice for testing.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:30 PM   #56
Registered Member

well, well, well...

finally got around to testing the alleged ethanol free gas via http://www.gassavers.org/showthread....hlight=testing. no wonder my #s were so similar. according to this test, the fuel is NOT alcohol free.

the sign out front specifically advertises "ethanol free gas." should i be a whistle blower or leave it alone.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:55 PM   #57
Site Team / Moderator

bowtieguy: I would bring your findings up to the station owner/manager privately first. They may not be aware that what is being delivered to them has ethanol.

Jay2TheRescue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 03:03 PM   #58
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue View Post
bowtieguy: I would bring your findings up to the station owner/manager privately first. They may not be aware that what is being delivered to them has ethanol.
i might inadvertently come off as arrogant at times, but i would never whistle blow such a trivial matter as this.

my thought was that THIS particular fill might have been isolated, but my tank to tank testing could very well have proved otherwise.

BTW, the gas was green, if that holds any significance.
Old 09-08-2009, 03:30 PM   #59
Site Team / Moderator

Arrow

I've seen amber, clear, and slightly purple - but I don't think I've ever seen green.

Jay2TheRescue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 06:52 AM   #60
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtieguy View Post
i might inadvertently come off as arrogant at times, but i would never whistle blow such a trivial matter as this.

my thought was that THIS particular fill might have been isolated, but my tank to tank testing could very well have proved otherwise.

BTW, the gas was green, if that holds any significance.
How can a merchant knowingly defrauding customers be a trivial matter?

trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote