Exhaust manifold Steam boiler? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > Experiments, Modifications and DIY
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-11-2008, 03:13 PM   #11
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to 91CavGT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowWorks View Post
How hard can it be to convert that heat back into something kinetic usable?

Honda and BMW have already created devices that take advantage of the waste heat that goes out the exhaust on an ICE. The both report around a 15% increase in effeciency.

Basically, they tank water and use the heat in the exhaust to turn it into steam. The steam then powers a turbine of sorts which puts the power back to the drivetrain (think Rankin cycle).

Old 06-19-2008, 03:48 PM   #12
Registered Member

Oh my Goodness, somebody has already patented this idea, a Mr Megenbier, Karl Heinz. I got this from patents on line, he lives in the UK so maybe I could track him down and ask him for some help?

Quote:
DETAILED DESCRIPTION OF THE DRAWINGS

Fig. 1 shows a water vapouriser of the invention applied to an engine. A water tank 10 is connected via a float chamber 9 and tubing 8 to a steam generator (boiler) 7 applied to the engine's exhaust. A steam tube 1 travels from the boiler 7 to a steam reservoir (condenser) 2, from which a steam tube 3 travels to the engine's air intake 4.

The water vapouriser has only two moving parts; a float and a needle valve.

The generator 7 produces steam which is fed through the link pipe 1 into the steam reservoir 2. The steam is then fed into the venturi of the carburettor in the case of a petrol engine, or into the intake manifold in the case of a diesel engine.

As shown in Fig.s 2 to 4, the steam reservior 2 comprises a cylindrical housing 107 having an air intake window 108 in its side wall. An air inlet pipe 105 passes axially through the housing 107, one end of the pipe 105 being provided with a filter 111 and the opposite end being provided with a plastics cap 104. A steam inlet pipe 101 passes through the window 108 and is held opposite an opening 120 in the side of the air inlet pipe 105 by straps 121 and 122 leaving a gap 103 between the end of the steam inlet pipe 101 and the opening 120. An outlet pipe 102 is secured to the air inlet pipe 105 directly opposite the opening 120, and passes out of the housing 107. The housing is provided with an external bracket 106.

The steam is fed through the condenser 2 so that the steam produced is wet. This is one of the key factors to the success of the water vapouriser. The condenser 2 also acts as a steam reservoir, thus ensuring a constant supply for sudden acceleration. Any steam produced is collected in the air stream and fed directly into the carburettor, eliminating the need for steam pressure. By feeding the steam directly into the venturi (or intake manifold) an even mixture of steam with the air and petrol vapour is ensured.

The device is self-metering in that it is controlled by the heat from the exhaust as well as being connected to the intake 4 of the carburettor. When the throttle is opened the pressure acting on the surface of the water inside the generator 7 is reduced, thus enabling steam to be produced at a lower temperature. The level of water in the generator 7 is controlled at a constant level by the float chamber 9.

When the mixture arrives in the cylinder of the engine it acts to slow or control the burn, thus enabling the use of a lower grade fuel. Immediately the engine fires the wet steam converts to dry steam, and in so doing increases in volume. When the cylinder temperature reaches 1,000 degrees Celsius, the dry steam converts back to hydrogen and oxygen, which are two combustible gases. This gives a second, or continued burn which, in response, burns the hydrocarbons, thus eliminating smoke from the exhaust, and so helping to eliminate pollution from the environment. This burning of the hydrocarbons gives "new engine" performance, extra power and less wear, particularly to valves etc.

One important safety feature in the system is that wet steam cannot be fed into a cold engine. Steam cannot be produced until the engine is hot. Laboratory tests for possible water contamination of the oil after a normal 6,000 mile oil change have concluded: "There is no effect of the steam generating system on the condition of the oil".

The device is useful in both petrol and diesel engines as NO x is controlled in both.

The water vapouriser can save up to twenty percent on fuel bills - petrol and diesel. Other advantages may be summarised as:

Less pollution
Increased power output
Smoother running
A cleaner engine
No exhaust smoke
Lower octane petrol.
Here is the link http://www.freepatentsonline.com/EP0461152.html

Its seems like it is a good idea, if I only had more money and time, I could patch something like this on my car, 20% FE increase with more power would be oh so nice.

Old 06-22-2008, 03:56 PM   #13
Registered Member

As I recall water turns too hho @3600F @600 psi? The rule of thum is if you have a 10 to 1 compression ratio engine the peak cyl pressure is 1000 psi but for only a short time. Some high performance engine's have a peak flame temp of 4900F. With 15 to 1 the pressure would be 1500psi peak. But the NACA paper "426 papers" say more humid less power. google it.
Old 06-22-2008, 05:38 PM   #14
Registered Member

http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11432
Old 06-22-2008, 05:44 PM   #15
Registered Member

I don't think there would be much advantage to a brief formation of HHO inside the chamber, this would be because it would be endothermic and suck heat out of the chamber to form it, then burn to re-release it. Unless it solved a combustion timing problem, there wouldn't be extra energy there to do anything.
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 05:46 PM   #16
Registered Member

Oh BTW that Tesla turbine page has the inlet and outlet switched.
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
Old 06-22-2008, 05:50 PM   #17
Registered Member

What Tesla page?
Old 06-22-2008, 06:06 PM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumesucker View Post
That one.
Old 06-22-2008, 06:15 PM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior View Post
That one.
LOL LOL LOL LOL
Old 06-22-2008, 09:55 PM   #20
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior View Post
I don't think there would be much advantage to a brief formation of HHO inside the chamber, this would be because it would be endothermic and suck heat out of the chamber to form it, then burn to re-release it.
The patent states the hydrogen and oxygen are made when the wet steam turns into dry steam at 1000 degrees and this helps to control burn and complete it, no Nox, cleaner engine, more power, I downloaded the patent and it has some images of the boiler, its a very simple idea and the inventor has 31 patents around evaporators and other steam systems, very clever chap, they would not give him the patent unless he could prove it worked, so it must have done everything he claimed or they would not give him the patent on it.

Its not clear to me how small the boiler can be as its feed water from a tank and it has some kind of steam condenser which helps make the steam wet, which is vital for the system to work apparently, this also gives wet steam on demand, I need to rig up a prototype.