exhaust wrap - interesting results - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > Experiments, Modifications and DIY
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 09-24-2006, 11:50 AM   #21
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanGeo
ok that's for headers how about the exhost pipes and is the wrap breathable or not? How about painting them white to reduce the radiated heat?
Why not just coat the exhuast? since your cars still new it will make your exhuast system last WAAY longer than an unprotected one would. There are special coatings available to block heat transfer aswell.

Old 09-25-2006, 08:18 AM   #22
Registered Member

I have exhaust wrap on my header. Well, the guy I bought the header from had already wrapped it.

It cools it down enough that I can put my hand on it after driving and I don't get burned. I don't know what brand wrap is on my header, but it cools the area around it a ton.

I'm not sure what purpose it serves, if any, but it was free so whatever.

LincolnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 08:51 AM   #23
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Quote:
Originally Posted by red91sit
Why not just coat the exhuast? since your cars still new it will make your exhuast system last WAAY longer than an unprotected one would. There are special coatings available to block heat transfer aswell.
Header is between the engine and firewall under a heat shield and I don't plan on taking it apart any time soon either - the point of a new car is to not have to take it apart much. Not sure if the coatings will be applyable in the car. I did coat the muffler because it is behind the right rear wheel to try to protect it a little - will have to see how it is doing later this year when I get back in the garage...

JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote