Filter catch can - Page 7 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-21-2006, 08:41 AM   #61
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
it SEEMS i got some gains from the catch can, but i also cleaned out my intake manifold when i installed it. the catch can is supposed to catch all the crap that would make the im dirty anyway. i still think its a worth while mod, especially for turbo applications. however as the saying has been going on around here: it is no magic bullet

Old 06-24-2006, 01:40 PM   #62
Registered Member

I checked my catch can again yesterday and found this much oil in it after approximately 300 miles.

It seemed like it filled up pretty quickly, I mean 300 miles really isn't that much. I would think at this rate it would be full after 1500 or so miles, which means I am going to have to empty it more often than I change my oil. I guess that doesn't really matter though since I am under the hood almost every day tinkering with one thing or another.

Here's how I have mine set up:

You can see it zip tied to my clutch cable. I used fuel line hose because that's all I had handy at the time, it seems to be working out just fine.

As far as any FE improvements, well, it's hard to tell. But I do feel good knowing that all that gunk is now in the catch can instead of in my intake manifold or on the tops of my pistons.

LincolnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 02:29 PM   #63
*shrug*

Take the filter out of the inside of the thing, it'll get clogged and then the oil won't fall out.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 05:52 PM   #64
Registered Member

you can get bigger filters right? I think im gunna do an oil change first before i go do this, or do it all at once tonite
SupraRXZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 05:55 PM   #65
*shrug*

You can get bigger ones, yes.

On another note: If you're getting milky junk in there you have a blown headgasket! Yay, it's a diagnostic tool as well.
Old 06-27-2006, 09:11 PM   #66
Registered Member

Did an oil change and got one from HD, Putting it on was sorta a *****, but in the tube there was hecka gunk in there already so i cleaned it out, and well hopefully it works good
Old 06-28-2006, 01:42 AM   #67
Registered Member

Real cheap and easy PCV jar:

* find a location for one...a good idea is somewhere it will get heat from the rad so the water will evaporate out.

* go the the grocery and by a glass jar of pickles (or ?) with a metal lid or maybe plastic.

* by some low pressure fuel line about the same diameter as your current PCV line.

* take a large tapered punch and put some holes in the metal lid...or drill some in plastic. These must be undersized relative to the OD of the gas line.

* cut the line to length and force them into the lid...having the INLET line going down about 1/2 the depth of the jar. The OUTLET line needs to be just inside the lid. Some silicone caulk will help to seal them if used around the top of the lines.

* purchase a copper or stainless scrubber and tear it apart...putting some of the mesh in the bottom 1/2 of the jar....leave no lose pieces.

* you can make a wire cage to hold the jar...or you might find a space where it will fit. If there is any problem with possible breakage...use some foam tape or innertube rubber to protect the outside of the jar.

* size the jar so you don't have to empty it too often...a pint jar is about right.

a new policy....I intend to ignore the nescient...a waste of time and energy.
ZugyNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 11:53 AM   #68
Registered Member

do you know how to empty it after it gets filled or replace the filter? or do i just go buy a new one everytime?
Old 06-28-2006, 12:19 PM   #69
*shrug*

You need to take the filter out of the middle before you install it! It just clogs and prevents the oil from falling out. You can empty it by unscrewing the clear plastic reservior and pouring the oil into your oil collection thing.
Old 06-28-2006, 02:25 PM   #70
Registered Member

uhhh ohh, how do i take it out? just twist it and pull out the white filter?