Filter catch can - Page 9 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-29-2006, 03:29 PM   #81
Registered Member

I started modifying my filter, I cut the bottom part of the filter out but should i just add the steel wool in the bottom of the filter or just stick it in the bottle?

cause i think it might get clogged if i stuck it in the filter

SupraRXZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 07:23 PM   #82
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
yea it probably would get clogged if you stuck it in the filter. you can cut the filter on the bottom, that would force the air to circulate more in the steal wool. using the existing filter like a little hose. test whatever out though, see if it works.

Old 06-30-2006, 07:19 AM   #83
Registered Member

Ooh that's a good idea.

I took my filter out last night but didn't get around to adding steel wool. I think tonight I'll snip the bottom of the filter off and put a bit of steel wool in the bottom of the can.
LincolnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 12:22 PM   #84
Registered Member

You guys are a hoot!

Although you fellows are quite a bit more civil than most boards.

Let me also point out the Condensator is not a catch can - works as one sure, however a lot more thought, science & money has gone into it.

One thing is do not use the air sep with the stone as it will clog, then you'll have oil ruuning up through the breather side of the PCV system, if the breather side is clogged, you'll push oil out of a seal.

As far as the beads go, PM me and I'll send you some. Whatever you do don't use "absorbant beads," they'll clog.

Do not put the material collected back into the crankcase - 95 metro has nailed it. In fact for 95 metro - pm me with an engine size & address I'll send you a free unit.

If you decide to build one on your own, make absolutely certain you do not create a situation which causes a vacuum leak. A vacuum leak is the devil. If your fuel delivery system (fuel injection) is working properly, the programing will compensate and add more fuel to the fuel air mixture and create a rich mixture, thus you'll be losing mileage. Even an almost imperceptible leak will create the above state.

So I'd advise against ZugyNA's method. Vacuum is strong stuff, especially when volume is involved.

Some rather "inventive" methods here on a Subaru board:
http://www.ultimatesubaru.net/forum/...?t=38290&pp=10

BTW - there has been extensive testing on the Condensator, nothing recent (A-B-A, FTP 75, US06, etc.), we'll get to it soon enough. As mentioned earlier it takes money. If you take the time to download the PDF located here: http://www.condensatorsales.com/html...e_w__bush.html

You can read what the Navy had to say and how they tested.

Hope this Helps,

Tom
Condisales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 04:32 AM   #85
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Condisales
So I'd advise against ZugyNA's method. Vacuum is strong stuff, especially when volume is involved.
I've used quart sized glass PCV jars in a 4WD vehicle and offroad camping on rough trails...not a problem. Jar was protected by foam tape.

Newer jars will likely be pint sized though...large enough not to need emptying too often.

Can you say what kind of beads you think are used in the Condensator?

Some people are getting good mpg gains from using an "ozone air bleed" where air is routed thru the distributor and into the intake...and with EFI cars. Contrary to popular opinion...I think in some cases...an air bleed forces the O2 sensor to control mixture in more situations and causes more complete combustion prior to this control.

If you are selling the Condensator...I recommend you lower the price to around $100. ;-) There's a lot of competition in the mpg savings area and some things don't work...people burned etc. Not saying the Condensator doesn't work...I "think" it probably does....just no way of knowing.

a new policy....I intend to ignore the nescient...a waste of time and energy.
ZugyNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 06:38 AM   #86
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Condisales
Do not put the material collected back into the crankcase - 95 metro has nailed it. In fact for 95 metro - pm me with an engine size & address I'll send you a free unit.
Nailed it? What did I nail? That user testamonials are all hokus? Sorry, I was just a little uncertain about what I nailed.

But are you serious? Do you really want to send me a free unit for testing?
Old 07-04-2006, 09:02 AM   #87
Registered Member

ZugyNA - We'd love to get the price down under $100 - however it's not going to happen any time soon. Maybe within a year or so.

95 metro - you wrote :Those filters are for filtering air in regulated compressed air systems, not for filtering fluids.

Tom
Condisales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 01:22 PM   #88
Registered Member

Question

So, what do you think, guys? Should I take the free Condensator?

Condisales says they don't have much feedback from Metro owners and my "review" could not be used as a user testamonial since it was a free unit. I guess as long as I posted a review of the product on Gassavers then people who actually look for information could find it and judge for themselves.

I'm not certain how I could quantify any results as yet, plus I haven't even owned the car long enough to have a yearly or normal baseline established as to my average FE.

I think I could objectively test it even though I have my doubts as to its actual fuel-saving capabilities.

Worse comes to worse, I guess it's a free catchcan. What do you think?

Maybe MetroMPG would be the better recipient since he's the testing guru.
Old 07-04-2006, 01:26 PM   #89
*shrug*

Darin doesn't drive enough miles though, oh my! I say: go for it, captain.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 06:24 PM   #90
Registered Member

It seems like my catch can filled up faster when i was driving more highway.

Quote:
Real cheap and easy PCV jar:

* find a location for one...a good idea is somewhere it will get heat from the rad so the water will evaporate out.

* go the the grocery and by a glass jar of pickles (or ?) with a metal lid or maybe plastic.

* by some low pressure fuel line about the same diameter as your current PCV line.

* take a large tapered punch and put some holes in the metal lid...or drill some in plastic. These must be undersized relative to the OD of the gas line.

* cut the line to length and force them into the lid...having the INLET line going down about 1/2 the depth of the jar. The OUTLET line needs to be just inside the lid. Some silicone caulk will help to seal them if used around the top of the lines.

* purchase a copper or stainless scrubber and tear it apart...putting some of the mesh in the bottom 1/2 of the jar....leave no lose pieces.

* you can make a wire cage to hold the jar...or you might find a space where it will fit. If there is any problem with possible breakage...use some foam tape or innertube rubber to protect the outside of the jar.

* size the jar so you don't have to empty it too often...a pint jar is about right.
So you can make a catchcan out of anything with an inlet/outlet for air? Seems easy and cheap enough.

Distance traveled by bicycle in 2007= 1,830ish miles
Average commute speed=25mph (yes, that's in a car)
kickflipjr is offline   Reply With Quote