Filter catch can - Page 6 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-16-2006, 02:14 PM   #51
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
Dyno? 1/4 times?
No dyno times. I street tuned it. Well, I gave it a rough tune then went to the drag strip and fine tuned it there. I would datalog all of my 1/4 mile runs then go back over my AF ratios and play with my timing to see how it affected the run.

The best I was able to pull in the 1/4 was 13.6 on street tires. It would burn the tires all the way through 3rd if I pushed it. It was definately a fun setup.

I got pretty good milage with it as well believe it or not. When I only boosted a few times a day and drove mostly in vacuum I saw an increase of 3-6 mpg over what I was getting NA. But on those sunny Friday afternoons when I would blast down the high way at full boost... well, FE went out the window. lol

LincolnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 02:35 PM   #52
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpiloto
Are you saying this is from a catch can? Has anybody tested this? I thing all you would get is to empty it every 3000 miles.
No, nobody has tested it (unless you want to include the laughable testamonials related to the "condensator" ). 1-2 mpg is just a number I pulled out of the air to say how much the sludge removal may gain over time. I probably should have said 1-2% mpg, but on my Metro 1-2% is up to 1 mpg or slightly higher.

Sorry for the confusion. I would like to test one of these, but I think you'd have to do it over a long time/distance and that may allow for too many variables.

Old 06-16-2006, 04:31 PM   #53
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95metro
No, nobody has tested it (unless you want to include the laughable testamonials related to the "condensator" ). 1-2 mpg is just a number I pulled out of the air to say how much the sludge removal may gain over time. I probably should have said 1-2% mpg, but on my Metro 1-2% is up to 1 mpg or slightly higher.

Sorry for the confusion. I would like to test one of these, but I think you'd have to do it over a long time/distance and that may allow for too many variables.
I agree. Why don't car manufactors put these in at the factory. They cost nothing and Jiffy lube could empty them during the oil change.
zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 04:34 PM   #54
*shrug*

Because it's easy enough to just let the stuff burn up and I assume they'd assume that people would forget about them and they'd get clogged or that jiffy lube would do the same, hell, if jiffy lube can let a oil pan bolt fall out they can mess up the can or forget it.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 04:39 PM   #55
Registered Member

Good Point. I forgot the only thing most drivers want to do is turn on the AC.
zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 04:41 PM   #56
*shrug*

You can also figure that most people would just empty it into their neighbors' lawns,
Old 06-16-2006, 05:12 PM   #57
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisntjared
i cant believe that guy is charging 180 for a catch can...
I'm begining to suspect it also has a platinum catalyst in it.

a new policy....I intend to ignore the nescient...a waste of time and energy.
ZugyNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 05:17 PM   #58
*shrug*

What's that mean?
Old 06-19-2006, 08:29 AM   #59
Registered Member

I contacted Tony at http://www.fuelsaving.info/ to ask for his opinion regarding PCV catch-cans and the "Condensator". I know he doesn't do testing on these products, but I trust his opinion since he has done lab testing for years and years. He's an auto-engineer that knows this topic inside and out. Anyway, here is what his reply was:

Quote:
I have seen the "Condensator" before, but (as you suspect) am sceptical of it. Their test data seems just as bad as all the other "dubious" products (no drive-cycle tests, no A-B-A, etc) and as with all these things, how come a "fantastic" product, that has been around for decades, hasn't become more widely known and used?

As far as the operating principle goes, they are right that a certain amount of fumes and unburnt fuel comes through the crankcase breather system (PCV), but this then flows into the intake system and gets burnt. If the "condensator" traps and filters out the more "sludgy" elements of this then it may help to keep the engine internals clean, especially on an old/worn engine, but I don't see why that should lead to any dramatic improvements in economy or performance.

At $180, it seems way overpriced. As you say, you could build one for a tenth of that.
PS: I didn't ask for permission to quote him...I don't think he would mind though. There will probably be a writeup on his site soon.
Old 06-21-2006, 06:13 AM   #60
Registered Member

I have the technical knowledge to come up with a lot of reasons why various things shouldn't work.

In the case of the Condensator...the only fair test would be to buy one...install it on several different vehicles and test it?

I've built a couple of PCV jars for less than $10 each...didn't see any mpg gains though.

a new policy....I intend to ignore the nescient...a waste of time and energy.
ZugyNA is offline   Reply With Quote