Filter catch can - Page 11 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 11-02-2006, 12:32 PM   #101
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
Not to step on any toes here, but a slightly cheaper version of this DIY catch Can can be had at your local auto parts store. I did the exact same thing as SVOboy in principal but spent less. I purchased a FRAM fuel filter #G3 for $4 and placed it in the valve cover vent and the PCV system, like so:

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 12:37 PM   #102
*shrug*

Noice!

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 04:39 PM   #103
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
um that filter looks like it will clog WAAY to quick with oil. other than that, sweet!! i would cut a small hole somewhere to let the pcv system continue to do its job even when clogged, by small hold i mean 1mm diameter.
Old 11-02-2006, 05:34 PM   #104
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
Yeah, the filter is small in stature but I check it daily. The one that runs from the valve cover to the intake tube has been on for over a week with not even a hint of oil in it. The one that is on the PCV system has about 3 drops of oil in it now and has been on for 4 days. They are easy to pop off and drain when/if they begin to fill up.

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 10:37 PM   #105
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisntjared
um that filter looks like it will clog WAAY to quick with oil. .
True . it will clog.
The air flow of that fiuel filter will also be less that what you generate with blowby , so you can expect oil leaks from everywhere., and made much worse when that paper element gets soaked in oil , blowby will not pass then at all.

PSSSSSSSS - POP

Its a sucky idea
onegammyleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 07:42 PM   #106
Registered Member

Well lets give this a shot...!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy View Post
So I decided to give this DIY oil catchcan a try and see what's develops. My first thought was to pay a visit to Home Depot as SVoboy had suggested before but it was a good 30 min. drive compared to other stores nearby. So instinctively I took the shorter route, well that turned out to be a bad choice lol. Ace hardware had very limited products, Sears asked way too much for their Craftsman air line filter($38) and while at Pepboys, I took the chance to purchase some rubberized pvc hose. By this time I was losing hope and gas not to mention. Up next was between Lowes and Home Depot...Home Depot it was but sadly I could not use the same Husky $10 air line filter pictured above, it was not the appropriate size for my valve cover outlet. I had no choice but to choose the larger 100ml with 3/8" fittings. I'll post up some pics as soon as I have the chance to install, the cool night crept up on me so I grew weary.
civicduty_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 05:18 AM   #107
Registered Member

There's a 100ml size? I should get that. My small one fills up very quickly and needs to be drained after almost every tank.
repete86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 04:09 PM   #108
Supporting Member

mine fills up even before my tank runs out. usually half of it is ice. i have to bring it inside and let it thaw before i can empty it.
a real pain but at least i know its doing its job.
GasSavers_nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 02:55 AM   #109

My catch can is a an old air filter use on large pneumatic industrial machines. Made out of nylon, lexan and stainless steel mesh, it is rated at 150 psi... not that its going to be seeing any positive pressure in this application. Its 5" tall by 2.5" wide.

The bottom half unscrews for easy cleaning.

Installed between the crankcase oil separator and the intake hose.

I haven't driven it yet but I'll update when I put a few miles on the setup. The best part: It was free
dieselbenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 05:28 AM   #110
Registered Member

Secure

After a body shop fooled with mine and sucked up the gunk into the intake manifold, I can't stress enough, the importance of securing the catch can to something. tjts1, it looks like you've done it right.

I can see most of us (including myself) having it hang mid-line and use the tightness of the connectors to ensure the proper alignment, but if it's bolted to something, the error of defeating the purpose of the device is minimalized.

For me, that would mean additional length of hose. Ensure that PCV hose is used. It can withstand the corrosive liquid, and the suction -- the parts store should know exactly what you're requesting (if not, run!) Outward pressure hoses like fuel lines don't take vacuum into consideration and can collapse under the Vac over time from heat in the engine bay.

RH77