generator to power electric vehicle? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > Experiments, Modifications and DIY
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 10-25-2009, 04:27 AM   #1
Registered Member

generator to power electric vehicle?

My father told me when he was a kid the ice cream truck was electric powered. Instead of a floor full of batteries it had a one cyl engine powering a generator. That experiment could easily be done today by throwing a small generator (lawnmower size engine) in the back of an electric powered car with a standard house plug in. Anyone tried something like that recently?

rakkassan34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 04:43 AM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
I bet the ice cream truck didn't go very fast.

A 12hp generator will not make enough electricity to drive a modern car on the road at modern speeds. Anyway, you don't want to be entirely without batteries; one of the big advantages of electric propulsion is regenerative braking.

The GM Volt will operate as you describe when its batteries run out.

Old 10-26-2009, 07:48 AM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
That might have been the generator or gas engine that ran the refrigeration.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 01:22 PM   #4
Registered Member

A pull behind has been done.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/19182287/G...Range-Extender
The car, the tzero, it's designed for didn't have space on board for a genset, and a trailer also has the space for auto emissions control.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 09:50 PM   #5
Registered Member

Sounds like this car: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Owen_Magnetic

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 07:48 AM   #6
Registered Member

In what way? The Owen, aside from the novel connection between motor and generator, is a series hybrid like a locomotive. The Volt and Tzero are battery EVs that use a genset to extend range.

As to the OP, it would work, but a commercial system will have to meet the emission standards of cars. I hope the Volt succeeds, but I'd rather have a full EV with the option to rent an add-on genset for those few long road trips. Using a rotorary or microturbine, it might be possible to get the genset off a trailer onto a hitch hauler.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 02:08 PM   #7
Registered Member

I'm not saying take all of the batteries out. I just wonder if you took either an electric vehicle or hybrid, lets say you throw a honda generator in the trunk of your prius, plug your car into the generator, fire up the generator and off you go. Leave the generator running the whole time you're driving and see if that extends your electric motor range while burning little fuel.
rakkassan34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 08:35 PM   #8
Registered Member

As long as the power of the generator is at least equal, if not greater than the power of the electric motors, then it should work. Unless you are doing a lot of stop and go driving, then a smaller generator might be able to keep up.

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:38 PM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trollbait View Post
In what way? The Owen, aside from the novel connection between motor and generator, is a series hybrid like a locomotive. The Volt and Tzero are battery EVs that use a genset to extend range.
The reason I mentioned the Owen was the description in the original post. Rakkassan34 mentions the truck using a generator INSTEAD of batteries.

Old 10-29-2009, 05:01 AM   #10
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBob View Post
Unless you are doing a lot of stop and go driving, then a smaller generator might be able to keep up.
If you've got batteries and regen, I'd say the smaller generator has a better chance of keeping up if you ARE doing a lot of stop and go. Steady-state driving at highway speeds takes 20-30hp, so if your generator is 100% efficient (it's not; it's nowhere near that) then you'd need at least a 20-30hp generator.