Gliding in The Beast - I'm thinking its not worth it under 45mph. - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-20-2008, 10:40 AM   #11
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
I was thinking that the best way to figure out what's going on is with live sensor data.

When a modern engine is idling high, for example when it's cold, how does it do that? Does the throttle get opened, or does it run rich, or something else? I suspect high idle in neutral at speed would be done the same way. What sensor should I watch? I'll order my ELM327 tonight, I think...

Old 06-20-2008, 10:57 AM   #12

I know on my protege I have about a dozen ecu "triggers" that tell the ecu to enrichen the mix, ie more fuel. This bumps the idle up slightly. Headlights, rear defog, rad and interior fan, wipers, etc are all triggers. I would assume most vehicles have some sort of trigger. At idle the Protege is nearly 15:1 for mix, but if I kick a few of these triggers on it increases to about 13.7:1. Small increase, more fuel, bigger bang, more air drawn in, idle increases to compensate against the alternators increased drag. Currently all these triggers are just bare wires, and I can increase my rpm manually without the alternator drag.

Okay, small sidetrack there. But yes, the ecu injects more fuel, leaves the injector open longer, wala, higher idle/rpms. You should be able to see it with your fuel rate monitor. You should see a higher value when you first fire it up in the morning.

almightybmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 11:02 AM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by almightybmw View Post
sooo.....how is it at any speed I can put it in neutral and drop the pedal and watch the rpms rocket to rev limit? Thereby proving, there is a neutral.

Something to try, eliminate the accel to speed neutral drop. Start on a hill and push the vehicle from a dead stop, when idle is at its lowest. See if it increases. That may help reduce the variables as to why the rpms don't drop for a coast.
i'm mean there isn't 0 zero friction,,,,,have you ever been it a car sitting engine off,then start it in neutral and it slowly roll ??? i have tons off times
COMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 11:05 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMP View Post
i'm mean there isn't 0 zero friction,,,,,have you ever been it a car sitting engine off,then start it in neutral and it slowly roll ??? i have tons off times
Yes I have actually. On top of a hill, with me holding the brakes pointed downhill.

You didn't read what I said did you?
Old 06-20-2008, 11:26 AM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Yes I have actually. On top of a hill, with me holding the brakes pointed downhill.

You didn't read what I said did you?
i re-read it ,,and yes i wouldn't be surprised it a rpm increase as it rolls down a hill ,,,,,,,,,my truck idles at 8-850,, at 50mph in N i see about 950-1000 rpm and its old school ,,77 chevy 350/350 ,,,and itstalls at 1200 rpm flashs to 1800
Old 06-20-2008, 11:26 AM   #16
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
You should be able to see it with your fuel rate monitor. You should see a higher value when you first fire it up in the morning.
I thought of that, but it won't tell me what's causing it. If neutral was still putting some power through to the input shaft (I can't imagine how, but let's say it is) then it would force the engine to turn a little faster and therefore use more fuel (yes, it does use more fuel for faster RPM even with my foot off the gas, unless it goes into DFCO). The fuel rate monitor won't tell me what the cause is, just the amount of fuel that's being used.

It should suffice to monitor O2 sensor readings via OBDII; I'd compare triggered fast idle and normal low idle to the neutral-at-speed fast idle.
Old 06-20-2008, 11:32 AM   #17
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMP View Post
You know, you've got a point there.

Put a car up on jack stands and start it. In N the wheels will start turning. Damn. How does that work?
Old 06-20-2008, 11:38 AM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
You know, you've got a point there.

Put a car up on jack stands and start it. In N the wheels will start turning. Damn. How does that work?
the internal friction,,thats the easest way i can explain,,,which i have a hard time at
Old 06-20-2008, 11:58 AM   #19

input shaft spins, fluids move, primary and secondary shafts move. When loaded (ie on level ground) the car doesn't move, but in the air, the friction is close to nothing, therefore shafts spin. Does this mean there is no neutral? no, it just means the tranny is built solid and with tight tolerances. Neutral still exists. The engine has no direct mechanical connection with the tires.
Old 06-20-2008, 12:02 PM   #20
Registered Member

Ok, so the question is...is that fluid connection enough to increase engine RPM by 10% when the driveshaft is spinning at highway speed?