Graphite dust in transmission oil? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > Experiments, Modifications and DIY
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2010, 06:31 AM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fowljesse View Post
Heheh. I heard of using brownies in the rear diff. No lie.
I would like to decrease the friction in my manual transmission. I don't have any problems, and am going to rebuild it soon, so I'm thinking about possible experiments in the mean time.
If you're going to re-build it soon, go with an AutoRX product prior to doing so instead!

Old 07-07-2010, 08:16 AM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fowljesse View Post
I would like to decrease the friction in my manual transmission. I don't have any problems, and am going to rebuild it soon, so I'm thinking about possible experiments in the mean time.
I am curious- why are you going to rebuild the trans if there are no problems with it?

GasSavers_Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 05:45 AM   #13

What kind of sawdust is best, hardwood or softwood? And what is the ideal proportion to mix it?
markweatherill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 06:09 AM   #14
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Plus, what size? Chainsaw chips, drill chips, rough circular saw dust, fine dust...
Old 07-08-2010, 07:45 PM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markweatherill View Post
What kind of sawdust is best, hardwood or softwood? And what is the ideal proportion to mix it?
Pine, left over from sawing 2x4s from house framing, is probably best. Mix in some...you'll "know" when you've mixed in enough.

BTW...way back in the before time, I used to use Arco Graphite motor oil. Always worked fine for me, even in my Triumph 650 with a wet clutch. Only problem was that it was really messy when oil would spray onto my good clothes...

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 10:28 PM   #16
Registered Member

Huh. Well, that's what I'm talking about. There must be a reason they don't use it anymore.
The reason I'm rebuilding it is to put in taller gears, and final drive, and an LSD. While it's out I have an aluminum flywheel, and stronger clutch to put in.
fowljesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 03:55 PM   #17

I'd imagine if graphite was a beneficial additive it'd already be in one of the higher quality, higher priced, or race-bred and race-targeted brands.

the lack thereof should answer the question. There are some with Molybdenum Disulfide in there, but not much. It's a "little goes a long way" situation.

odiekokee is offline   Reply With Quote